Raid 0 question

Status
Not open for further replies.

maximas

Baseband Member
I recently set up a raid 0 and SRT (Intel Smart Response Technology). I am using an OCZ Agility III 60 GB SSD for the cache, and two Samsung 1 Terabyte hard drives. Everything is set up correctly. The raid 0 looks perfect in the bios, and it also shows up correctly in the SMT console. That said, looking at my computer, you can clearly see that only 931 GB is showing up. Anyone have issues like this? How might I fix this? I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate 64. Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

It's nothing out of the ordinary. Here's a exclamation I found on the net explaining it:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic127232.html said:
Its actually 1GB=1,000,000,000bytes according to the manufacturer. ..

From Seagate Barracuda data sheet "1 One gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes and one terabyte, or TB, equals one trillion bytes when referring to hard drive capacity."

From Western Digital Specifications for Caviar Black HDs "As used for storage capacity, one megabyte (MB) = one million bytes, one gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes, and one terabyte (TB) = one trillion bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environment. As used for buffer or cache, one megabyte (MB) = 1,048,576 bytes. As used for transfer rate or interface, megabyte per second (MB/s) = one million bytes per second, megabit per second (Mb/s) = one million bits per second, and gigabit per second (Gb/s) = one billion bits per second."

From Hitachi Deskstar data sheet: " One GB is equal to one billion bytes and one TB equals 1,000GB (one trillion bytes) when referring to hard drive capacity. Accessible capacity
may be less."

From Samsung Spinpoint hard drives page: "1MB = 1,000,000bytes / 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes.
Actual accessible capacity may vary from advertised capacity due to formatting and
partitioning of the hard drive, as well as due to your computer's operating system"

From Fujitsu enterprise hard drives page: "1 One gigabyte (GB) = one billion bytes; accessible capacity will be less and actual capacity depends on the operating environment and formatting.
One megabyte (MB) = 1,000,000 bytes; One gigabyte (GB) = 1,000 megabytes; Gigabit (Gb) = 1,000 megabits; RPM = Revolutions Per Minute
2 A small portion of buffer memory is used for drive firmware control
"

MindoverMaster,

Thanks for the post. I have two 1-Terabyte hard drives. In reality, though, only one is showing up. There should be at least 2000 GB (minus the extra bit formatting that goes into a raid setup) in a two terabyte raid-0 set up. Right? Or am I not getting something here?

Unallocated just means that it hasn't been partitioned. Try to expand your partition to the unallocated space.

Learn something new everyday. I expanded the partition and now I see 1.81 TB! Thanks MindoverMaster and Slaymate! Do you always have to do this in a raid setup, or did I just do something wrong?

You normally have to format it, yes, but why you had an unallocated partition, I just take you didn't do something right. :umm:

Wouldn't be the first time I messed something up... :) That said, it might have something to do with SRT. The method I used didn't set up raid through the bios like you normally would... not completely, anyway. You do most of the work from within the RST console. Anyway, it seems to be working. I haven't run any benchmarks, but I bet they will be decent. Windows restarts are fast and programs load rather quickly. All and all I'm pretty happy with it thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom