Not open for further replies.

Woltato

Solid State Member
I'm thinking of buying a new pc and am slightly confused about processors

Was looking at an Intel Xeon quad core.

the thing I don't get is looking at these 2 processors

Intel Xeon Quad Core E3-1280 3.5Ghz LGA1155 8MB 32nm
Intel Xeon Quad Core E3-1220 3.1Ghz LGA1155 8MB 32nm

The numbers suggest that the first one is about 12% quicker than the second (3.5 ghz over 3.1 ghz). If this is the case then I'd expect it to cost about 12% more yet it actually costs about 3 times as much so is there more to it than that?

Those are processors for servers.

If you are buying a PC you probably want to look at different processors.
Depending on what you use your computer for most and your budget we can give you some suggestions.

No idea what I'm getting yet. Was just having a look around, doing a bit of research and was curious to understand why a processor that's only slightly more powerful costs so much more. Just took the intel Xeon as an example. Thanks for the advice though, guess that's not the one I want.

I'm after a new machine that will be good for video editing including HD video.

budget is about £800 or around $1300 in american money and for that all I need is the actual PC as I've already got 2 decent screens. I've also already got a spare 2TB hdd to install as a secondary so won't need a massive hard drive.

I've got as far as figuring out that I'll need a machine with a fairly powerful processor and graphics card and would also like a motherboard that supports USB3.0 but haven't a clue what to look for. Any suggestion to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom