Been a long time, another GPU upgrade thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
A GTX 285 is definitely an older card, but in a system like yours (and depending on what resolution your running) it will be more than enough. I ran crysis 2 with 1 card no problems at all at 1920 X 1080. Now with 2 of them in SLI i'm running 3072 X 1280...again with no problems at all. At Very High settings in Crysis 2 i average 55 FPS.

Unless your putting a whole new system together i think a 570 is overkill.

Kevin

Hmm starting to gather a lot of good info from you guys. Please don't consider my $400 limit for the GPU as my budget, there isn't really a budget. If it's time to upgrade it all, then so be it, and please make suggestions on that. But at the same time, if a good GPU with the current system will be 'good enough' for BF3 and the like, then I'll just do the GPU. I will be gaming on the 22" monitor at 1680x1050 and have never cared about AA or AF, so I would imagine my demands would be a bit less than the benchmark posted.

As to the 'overkill', as far as I'm concerned, there's no such thing. 6 months from now (12 months at the latest), everything out right now, will be outdated to some degree. Everything will have to be updated eventually, and when the time comes, whatever was 'overkill' will then be appropriate. That's how I look at it anyway. Everyone thought the quad-core was 'overkill' when it first came out, everyone said just buy dual-core. Now most games need a quad-core (or at least are greatly benefited by a quad-core).

Got it in and slightly OC'd. Seems like my fps's and benchmark scores are right in line with reviews so I would have to say it isn't being bottlenecked by the rest of my setup. Weeee!

Running BFBC2 maxed out and getting 60-70fps average.

Thanks!

Comparing 3DMark11 results, my fps scores in the graphics tests are exactly the same and better than those with i5 2500k@4.6ghz and an i7 950 @ 4.0ghz. However in the physics test, those systems scored 2x and almost 3x my fps, so that's where I'm lacking. Just have to wait and see how much of a factor that plays in BF3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom