What exactly more memory will mean to my laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpuga

Baseband Member
I currently own a satellite c655d-s5200 it has one of those 1.0gz accelerated duo processors with 3gb of memory ram. I am thinking of upgrading to 8 GB since it will only cost me $48 at newegg. I don't really have any
problems with speed at the moment because I maintain my computer clean and up to date. But later on I will install programs like photo shop and webdesign software etc.

What memory really improve? and is it possible to upgrade the processor on laptops?

Yeah, RAM is ridiculously cheap these days, why not update to 8GB? If you use Photoshop and Dreamweaver professionally, yes, the extra RAM will greatly help, in rendering and compiling. But for gaming, for example, won't benefit you. It doesn't use more than 4GB RAM.

Essentially, you can not replace your CPU. You can, yes, but anything you can update to, is a minimal performance boost.

Thank you for the fast replay

My computer some how take some few seconds to open up a webpage even thou I do have a nice speed internet. I try with Google chrome, Firefox, even internet explorer (I found the new version pretty fast). My desktop computer is faster when opening up web-pages. But my laptops sometimes take a few extra second. Can anyone tell me why will this happen and if there is a way to fix it? That is one of the reason why I want to upgrade memory.

Could be your wireless strength. distance from router, the type of signal, b/g/n, the amount of power going to it, rather mini-PCI, PCI, PCI X1, etc. There are so many factors that go into it. One can be faster than another for uncountable reasons.

Also, memory will make multitasking more stable and less laggy because the excess data can just be stored on the memory. Because memory is just Random Access Memory or RAM, data that is open but not being processed is stored on the memory.

Well, it depends on more than just RAM. If you are running 10 big programs at once, 16GB won't save you. Have to factor in the CPU, Northbridge, and more.

As it is right now, I am not running any big programs other than I change the full theme of window 7 by patching the windows files but still running very smooth. It just that bothers me that sometimes it gets stuck while I am writing something inside a web-browser. I hope the memory upgrade will make a difference but something is telling me that it might be my slow processor 1.0gb accelerated :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom