RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
1) Yes it is possible, but I want to say you'd lose dual-channel speed. Don't quote me on that.
2) Depends what the server is for, which server OS you're using, etc...
3) 4GB is enough for any current titles.
4) VRAM helps with video resolution, important for multiple-monitors and huge displays.
5) As much as the card has.
6) VRAM is used for resolution, if you're running a single monitor @ 1900x1080 1GB is more than enough.

thank you for your answers and that you are using your time to help me understand though i do still have questions. the server i am trying to run is a minecraft server and i also use win7 64-bit

what does dual speed do?

so if i had more then one monitor i will need more vram? (eye-infinity)

what are a bunch of good mother boards that can use a alot of ram (16gb or more (newegg))

i think im out of questions now

I'm coming down with something, so making this quick.
For Minecraft:
I think it is 1GB of ram for 12 (or 24) people, the rest is up to your ping and upload speed.
Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test (You want about 50-60ms ping and Mb's of upload speed). If you want about 100 people on a server, you will need a REALLY stable connection, if you want 24 people on your server, not so much trouble.
Also, Tutorials/Setting up a server - Minecraft Wiki.

Dual channel RAM:
http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf.
Nice illustration on page 3.

Depends how many monitors you are using, most setups are fine with 1GB.
If you want something like 4-6, then start worrying about VRAM.

Any of the newer motherboards with 4 memory slots should be able to handle 16GB+.
Not sure if you're looking at Intel or AMD, so post up what you find and we'll let you know.

well the build i am planning is just a intel i5 gaming build

intel i5 650 or higher
a motherboard that can support more then 16gb ram
amd radeon 5770 or higher

I'm coming down with something
The flu, awesome.

If you want it to last a while I'd go for a quad-core.
Still not sure what you need with more than 8GB of RAM in a gaming build.

Post a budget, people love helping pick parts around here if you haven't noticed :thumbsup:

i have like under 1000$ for upgrades

i would like a better motherboard because mine is a micro atx and also i am having ventilation probs i like any motherboard to have same ddr3 as the one i have now has.

also a better case, i bought this pc from a company not knowing you can actually build one alot cheaper

also i heard that you can pass on the product key of a os to a different motherboard how do you do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom