How will this Computer be for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

friesenlips

Beta member
Hello, I just joined this board and am in the process of building a computer. I will be ordering all of the parts from tigerdirect.ca and wanted to know if all the parts I had picked out are compatible with each other or not.

1. Asus K8V Socket 754 ATX motherboard and AMD 64 3400+ Processor package
2. Ati radeon 9800 pro/256mb DDR/AGP 8x/VGA/DVI/TV Out/ video card
3. Ultra 512 mb 3200 DDR 400mhz Memory (2 pack total 1024mb)
4. Seagate 160gb/7200/8mb/SATA-150 hard drive
5. Chieftec dragon ms-blue atx case with ultra 600 watt power supply
6. Artec/52x24x52x CD-RW/clear/nero software
7. Artec DHM-G48/16x dvd-rom/clear/cyberlink software
8. Speeze/socket 754 cpu cooling fan

The rest is just fans and accessories. What do you think? Also I want to get windows xp for it do I have to buy the full version since it is all brand new or is there some way I can use the upgrade because it is at least $120 less.

Thanks

If that processor is socket 754 everything should be compatible, in order to use the upgrade you have to have a previous version of windows installed on your computer, usually windows 98 or 2k

Great system it would be cool if it was a 939 but this pc is more then enuf for gaming. That video card will play most games right now cpu is good enuf memory. Overall great system

You will see more performance with the 128 Mb version of the Radeon.

128MB in a graphics card can result in better performance then the 256MB one?? Are you sure?? I'm not so sure about that...

I would suggets a 939 cpu and board. W/ that you will have Dual Channnel support for DDR and upgradeablity in the future. they are not gonna make any more 754's. I would suggest a 6800GT but that card will be plenty fine for now. and instead of investing in a CDRW and a DVD rom why dont you get a dvd burner? you might actually sacve money! Plus i rcomend Corsair XMS ram and a Thermaltake silentboost for coling.

Nvidia fan boy is right dont get745 amd will cut the support next year along with XPs plus like he said you will have dua channel feature

I made a few changes to the system

I went with the asus Av8 939 socket motherboard and the amd64 3400+ 939 instead of the 754's. Also the ati radeon 9800 pro 128mb instead of the 256mb, also for memory corsair twinx dual channel (2x512). I have to pick a cpu fan out yet. Are the fans all the same for the amd 64 socket or does the 754 fan mount different than the 939. And the reason I want a cd-rw drive and a dvd rom because I like having two drives instead of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom