Building a budget gaming computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesepuff

Beta member
I am getting a computer for college from my parents, and I am already getting a PSU that will support most anything i need, so I need some help on buying a GPU that will support some games like Call of Duty MW2 (I don't care if you think its a bad game i just need to know some info).

i am looking at a few gpu's, and i picked out one that doesnt look so bad...yes or no, if no, then offer an alternative...thanks!!! :big_smile:

HIS IceQ Radeon HD 5670 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16

There are links in the words "computer", "PSU", and the video card

I don't claim to know everything about upgrading, but it seems that if you're going to be upgrading a microATX HP computer like that, you're going to want a better card, since you won't be able to add a second for crossfire/SLI later on.

My suggestions would be either the:

GTX 460 (768MB) - $99 (with rebate)

or

GTX 460 (1GB) - $140 (with rebate)

The GTX460 outclass the HD5670 in every way, and only for an additional $10! The 768MB version would be more than enough for what you're thinking of getting, and it'll most likely be able to run MW3 when it's released. If you can afford it, you should spring for the 1GB version though. They're also DX11 compatible, which is good for future games as well.

@ cheesepuff, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

Im not trying to be rude with this, but my double post was about 10 seconds after my original...it was not to "bump" the thread, but rather to inform...and then i went back to edit it...thank you though!

Edit: I do not want my CPU to bottleneck the GPU, so if you could please help me out there as well? I would like something that handles games, but keeps up with my cpu, maybe slightly better than my cpu as far as speed, but please give me some info on one that will not be bottlenecked.

What monitor are you going to use ? The resolution and size of monitor will help the "informed " that are on this website daily determine what GPU will work best for you. Also the price range your willing to spend on the GPU ( example= I have $200- $250 to spend on a GPU and I have a 23 inch monitor that I use at xx resolution running on a new quad core phenom 2.9 ghz CPU.) Chances are soemone will have 1 or 2 suggestions for you.

My monitor is a 21" monitor and i plan on using 1920 x 1080 resolution, running on a quad core 2.9 ghz phenom processor. Finally I am looking at a $80-$120 price range (prefer around $100)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom