GTX 285's in SLI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got my new build together and i'm having some significant issues. The first game i installed was Dirt 2 and it plays perfectly. After that no luck at all, including far cry 2, duke nukem forever, and crysis 2.
Crysis 2 runs perfectly for up to 5 or 6 minutes then crashes, have to do a full reboot. Sometimes screens goes different colors and has lines everywhere. Then a crash within 5-10 seconds.

I7-920 @ 3.36
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6 GB Mushkin Blackline @ 7-8-7-20
2 X GTX 285 BFG OCX
Corsair TX750
2 X 19" Dell 1905FP and 1 X Dell 1907FP (Used in Nvidia Surround)

Sounds like your cards are overheating. Not too uncommon a problem for 285's
Download HWMonitor, leave it running in the background. After you've started it, let your PC idle for 5 mins, then take a screenshot of the HWMonitor screen. Then fire up Crysis 2. Play for only one or two mins, then close it and take another screenshot of HWMonitor. Post up.

Ok here goes...

I also went ahead and took a snapshot while running furmark for about 7-8 minutes.
Seems to run way hotter without any crashing or stuttering of any kind.

http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j460/kpat999/

One other thing to mention, while running furmark i was averaging about 675 watts, and actually bounced up to 715 a few times. Could my Power supply be the problem? Even though during games (where i have my problems) its lower, Around 590-615 watts

The 285's do get hot, I'm talking low 90's, but 95C really is too hot after only a few minutes. If you can, space the cards further apart. Also, done a driver update?

What model is your PSU?

Impossible for me to space them out in this motherboard...unfortunately.

And i do remember running this in a single card setup and it was low 90's. Maybe the second one i picked up has a problem.

I have the latest driver, i tried rolling back to previous version with no luck. If its a heat issue why wouldn't there be a problem when running furmark when it actually gets hotter? My PSU -- Corsair TX750

Different applications stress the card in different ways, it's not all related just to core temperatures.

When you put cards in SLI that are stacked closely together you'll usually get a pretty big temp spike, especially on the top card because it's now pulling in heated air from the card below.

That PSU is usually very solid. Really I'm thinking it's temps at this stage. You could try opening up your case and aiming a fan at the cards to test this, see if it still crashes? Monitor the temps to see if it's actually making a difference of course :p Wait a bit, see what someone else suggests

When you go to game Crysis 2 put your cards on 100% fan for a few minutes before playing the game and see if that fixes your problem. If it does, it is for sure temp. When I had SLI 280s I was living in a house that is 65f year round so heat wasn't an issue. I can tell you these cards get HOT when you OC them. Like, hotter than my sun in a chip 465. If heat is indeed your problem, then you will need to run the fans up high and play stock.

There is no OC's on the GPU's, only the CPU.

What program would you suggest for controlling these fans?

Also, is there a program that would record the crash and maybe give me an indication when i have to do a full reboot.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom