Cpu bottlenecking or choking ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David21

Baseband Member
i think my cpu may be bottlenecking my graphics card. and i think my cpu may be choking to.
i have a amd quad core 640 3.0 ghz. and it only has 2mb in the l2 cache and no mb in the l3 cache.
and my graphics card is a ati 6850.

the reason i think my cpu is bottlenecking or choking is that when i play bfbc2 my computer lagg jolts at 60 fps like its missing frames. it lagg jolts when it goes from 60 - 55 fps.
and my pc feels slow when my pc is getting 40 fps.
is this normal or do i need to upgrade my amd quad core 640 3.0 ghz to a amd bull dozer when they come out ?

as i will be able to afford one. and would i get a huge performance increase ?

Even if your CPU was bottlenecking your GPU (not saying it is) it shouldn't be doing this.
A 6850, even bottlenecked, should still blow that game away.

I'd say first step is making sure you aren't overheating anything, higher temps mean components begin to throttle themselves.
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting.
Download the above, leave it running and start playing BC2 for a bit, then post up a screen shot of it so we can check temps.

it definitely isnt because of heat. it happens when i first open the game up aswell. it also does it on low settings with 800 by 640.
it does it on other games also such as black ops.

this is a screen shot of what you wanted.
Imageshack - unledvpl.png

i see the voltages are a bit out, though looking on my bios. they are what they are suppose to be.

i have changed my hard drive around with another one and it still does it. so its not my hard drive.

its also not the internet because it happens on single player.

I've been digging around for over an hour and I think I'm pretty much stumped.

L3 cache, while it does have an effect in certain games, isn't a game breaker.
You're obviously not overheating your GPU or CPU.
You've tried low settings (assume this means 0AA/AF too).
And I'm hoping the first thing you made sure of is that your GPU drivers are all up-to-date.

I would suggest posting up system specs and the issue on the BF:BC2 and/or COD:BO forums.
Since the issue is specifically with these games others may have had similar issues and know another fix.

i feel very dumb, and thank you for taking your time and effort to help me. but it may be me in the wrong. i just found out by somebody on the internet that my computer may not even have a mobo chipset installed which i just found out doesnt. i am downloading it right now. do you think this is the cause ?. would this make it lagg in games ?.

I have no idea whats going on.

A chipset is an actual physical thing, not something that can be downloaded.
Not sure what exactly you're doing, but worth exploring all options to find a fix.

yeah i dont know what that guy was talking about, my pc is getting worst i can barely play the game now. dont really know at this point of time.

it happens in all games, in gta iv i get 30 fps on low settings.

i think its my cpu as all my stuff is new such as mobo power supply graphics card ram. and i have switched hard drivers over and it doesnt fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom