M14X not reading all ram modules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion321

Solid State Member
So, today I recieved my new alienware M14X. Turned it on, checked the windows experience and it showed only 4gb of ram, should be 6gb. Checked the system BIOS and it also displayed only 4gb's of ram. 2gb modules in each slot. Last tried CPI-ID just to be sure that it just wasn't some sort of error. (If there even could have been an error). Is there some sort of default setting that limits the ram to 4gb or is it that I was just shorted the other 2 gb of ram? Any help would be great.

You do have a 64-bit OS, right? Could be one of the sticks are bad, or simply a bad slot. Try taking out all but one stick out, and switching between the three.

Well I would make sure that the spec sheet says 6gb ram just to be sure you got the correct computer. Then before opening it to check it I would contact Alienware to gain any information from them. I would also research online for other common issues.

It is 64 bit windows 7, The packing slip and the online spec sheet both say 6gb of ram. Will be in contact with alienware/dell to see what was really installed into the comp. Don't want to send it back because upon receiving it the first time, it showed up without a tracking number or anything.

I am pretty sure the warranty isn't voided to opening the panel to your RAM slots, but yea, I would deffo call dell about this before opening it, and not having a tracking number on the box wont hurt, they send you a new box to ship the laptop BACK usually.

Opened the back on it once I got home from work, inside were 2, 2gb ram sticks. Called dell, and with a little time I now have a 4gb stick on the way, don't know if the 2gb will make THAT much of a difference but everything counts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom