IMAP vs OWA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
So I have a phone. It supports POP, IMAP, and OWA/Exchange.

If I have the toss-up option of IMAP or OWA, which one is more feature packed/more intelligent to use?

From what I'm reading, it sounds like it's IMAP. However, I wanted to ask to see what everybody else thought.

Thanks!

Im thinking imap has its quirks. from what i remember you need to flush out deleted items after clicking delete to a email. otherwise the mail just shows as marked for deletion. A techie may be able to think thru issues like this.

avg users would want owa. it has a interface similar to Outlook. some features that are available in outlook may not be available in owa.

I would want to setup the phone with a exchange account, but im guessing you dont have that available.

id prolly try imap at first, if it frustrated me to no end, then id go with owa.

no active sync?
OWA is meant for web browsers, but you can use it if you can.
The easiest would be imap or active sync. POP can be used if you don't need access to multiple folders...i don't beleive you can switch to sub folders and such.

We use IMAP for our employee's phones. Works easy enough, syncs easy enough, setup is easy enough, so yeah I'd go IMAP.

Sounds good. I think ActiveSync is an option, but if I recall I didn't have good luck with it previously. I remember thinking it was just my email app acting up until I heard other users saying it wasn't all "that great" and that a few others just went with IMAP and had no issues.

I just wasn't sure if there was a true fundamental advantage to using OWA or ActiveSync over IMAP. From what I've read, it sounds like IMAP is the more bomb-proof option. But again, I still wasn't sure.

Issues with ActiveSync? I really haven't heard all that much besides the normal troubleshooting. It's the next best thing to BES, IMO.
Enable it through Exchange globally or per mailbox; punch in the address, username and pass and you're all good.
I think it's all just personal preference what you use though. I really wouldn't like OWA for mobile use. Though I've been spoiled with BES/BIS speeds and use...
IMAP would be my next after the 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom