1 TB HDD - Samsung VS Others

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0ntcar3

In Runtime
I've noticed that most people in builds are using a Samsung Spinpoint F3.

Just curious if this is just a price thing or it's a great drive. Vs something like a WD Caviar Black?

Looking at my next build and I'm going to be replacing everything. So just curious on the Samsung drive.

Thanks.

For the 1TB I generally put in order WD Cav Black > Sammy F3 > SG Cudda.
That is also the price order.

I'm glad you posted though because I always re-research to make sure I don't make a total jacka..something of myself.

Apparently I've got my order mixed up (performance not price wise), atleast according to bit-tech's Iometer results.
Review - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Review | bit-tech.net

I think a lot of people were turned off to Seagate because of the failure rate of the 7200.11.
Apparently things have been fixed with the 7200.12 and they're undercutting the F3 by ~$5 to get customers back.

I'm not sure where exactly the Cav Black falls, but reading the 1TB is under-performing compared to the 2TB.
By how much I can't say but I would assume its still on top of the pack, if even by a very small margin.

Regardless, the drives all have similar performance and, with exception of the 7200.11, decent track records.

Probably going to start suggestion the Barracuda 7200.12 now :crazy:

*Edit - Always reading.
The Cav Black (1TB) is still missing from most comparisons, but a lot go:
F3 = Cav Blk (2TB) > 7200.12; or F3 > Cav Blk (2TB) > 7200.12

Honestly its mostly benchmarks, in real world application I doubt you'd notice much difference.
I do feel justified in suggesting the F3 though, as it is a fair price for a good drive.

Yarr, Barricuda 7200.12's are extremely decent. Buy 'em for our servers at work, for my servers at home, for storage at home, etc etc. :p yeah I liek 'em. I had one arrive DOA recently, but that's the only failure so far (except for one that blew up in a dodgy dock I had).

Cav Blacks IMO aren't worth it these days, too much of a price premium for just the name. They're **** good drives to be sure, but the price? Not justifiable IMO over the .12's or F3's

I'm a Seagate fan as well... two 1.5TB 7200.11 drives and two 1TB 7200.11 drives :thumbsup: Had the oldest one for about... four years now. Still nothing wrong with it at all

This thread just changed my point of view, after a bit of research I too have found WD to be expensive and not much (if any) performance gain.
Thanks to you all, will now start up with Seagate.

I won't lie, all the stuff I read about the high rates of the 7200.11 bricking itself made me a little paranoid.

Probably going to stick to the F3 for 1TB but, since they don't seem to make a <1TB F3, go with Cav Blacks or 7200.12 for those.

I won't lie, all the stuff I read about the high rates of the 7200.11 bricking itself made me a little paranoid.

Probably going to stick to the F3 for 1TB but, since they don't seem to make a <1TB F3, go with Cav Blacks or 7200.12 for those.

Same here, I haven't bought a Seagate drive since then.

Honestly I wouldn't touch a >1TB drive either, most of them have pretty poor reputations.

Same here, I haven't bought a Seagate drive since then.

Honestly I wouldn't touch a >1TB drive either, most of them have pretty poor reputations.

In years previous, definitely. Multiple platters were a big issue. These days with 1Tb+ drives coming on single platters or only two platters, it's much better (not to mention all the other obvious improvements along the way)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom