Pentium E6700 vs Core 2 Duo E6700

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinema

Beta member
Hi There,

First time poster here. I've got a quick question about a CPU upgrade I want to do. I've got an old (we're talking over 5 yrs) HP Pavillion m7570n. It is equipped with an P5LP-le MOTHERBOARD

According to the specs on the HP P5LP-le specs page, the CPU socket is an LGA775 socket. And it also says I can upgrade to a Core 2 Duo E6X00 processor. My question is: Since the socket for a Core 2 E6700 and a Pentium 6700 are the same, would I be able to install the Pentium E6700 instead of the Core 2 E6700? Does the die and power draw affect compatibility even among cpus of the same socket type?

What I am aiming for is simple gaming. I'm not really trying to play everything on the highest settings, just play games smoothly - something my current rig can't even pull off with Mirror's Edge on the lowest settings. (even though I'm apparently within the recommended settings). I also have a tight budget (around $100).

CPU: Pentium D 915 2.80 mHz (Dual-core)
Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) DDR2 PC4200
GPU: Galaxy GTX 460 768MB
PSU: 460W
HDD: 360GB

I'm planning on getting 2GB more RAM and upgrading to a 64-bit operating system soon)

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and reply.

die size and power draw can affect the compatibility. Most boards used by brand named companies are set for a specific voltage/power range and there are no adjustments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom