Graphics Card - Half life 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kappa

Beta member
Does anyone know is an ATI RADEON 9600 256MB ATLANTIS will be good enough for Half Life 2 or will I need a better card? Anyone have any suggestions please because I'm new to all this tech stuff. Thanks :eek:

System Requirements:Windows, 700 MHz, 128 MB RAM, DirectX 6.0-compatible graphics card/accelerator

That is what I found for minimum requirements. Sounds like your card would work to me.

Kappa said:
Does anyone know is an ATI RADEON 9600 256MB ATLANTIS will be good enough for Half Life 2 or will I need a better card? Anyone have any suggestions please because I'm new to all this tech stuff. Thanks :eek:

Is that an XT based card, or a regular? If your going to go with the 9600 series, I would strongly suggest getting the XT based card. They have a faster VPU clock. It doesn't cost too much more and it does give a small increase in performance.

I got my VisionTek 9600XT here:
http://www.buyxg.com

Hmm, usually as I can recall Half Life 1 had very minimal requirments. So I guess version 2 would have a bit more of demands...I guess your pc is fine

The 9600XT should have no problem with it at all. Like Doom 3, HL2 is very forgiving when it comes to system requirements. However, if you will see the best performance in HL2 with a 6800GT/Ultra followed by the X800 series.

Rizinc4 said:
System Requirements:Windows, 700 MHz, 128 MB RAM, DirectX 6.0-compatible graphics card/accelerator

That is what I found for minimum requirements. Sounds like your card would work to me.

No man. Those are just the minimum PC requirements. You need at least that to just start the game. You will need a far better computer to run it at good quality. for example, halo system requeremtnts are Windows, 733 MHz, 128 MB RAM, DirectX 7 graphics card, 32MB. And on my computer (see specs below) I could only run it on 800x600 otherwise it will lag. But ya, the 9600 XT will run it at good quality, I don't guaratee full rez and full detail.

ag3 said:
The X800 XT PE will offer the best performance.

So far for the Source engine it has shown 6800 GPU's on top followed by x800s until you get to AA and AF.

Kappa said:

It depends what you mean by good enough? If you mean that enough to meet the minimum, then that card will do you fine. However, if your talking about running HL2 in high settings, then the card doesn't cut it. I had a 9700 Pro, and the frame rates and game play were sluggish and choppy when I played Counter-Strike:source. By the way Source uses the HL2 engine, in case people think I am talking about the 7 year old Counter-Strike game. The 256MB doesn't make such a big difference on the older cards. If you can really add a hundred dollar or so, go for the 9800 pro 256MB. If you really can add another 200$ go for the Geforce 6800 GT. That's my say.

pc_boy said:
No man. Those are just the minimum PC requirements. You need at least that to just start the game. You will need a far better computer to run it at good quality. for example, halo system requeremtnts are Windows, 733 MHz, 128 MB RAM, DirectX 7 graphics card, 32MB. And on my computer (see specs below) I could only run it on 800x600 otherwise it will lag. But ya, the 9600 XT will run it at good quality, I don't guaratee full rez and full detail.

Yes I am well aware of that. But his Graphics card is WELL above what is listed in the minimum requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom