Liquid cooling system for laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

samo91

Solid State Member
I was doing some googling, and i found out that some people are using home made liquid cooling systems to cool their laptops. So i decided to give it a try. I want to use: a small tank with 2 holes; a pump (like an aquarium pump); a radiator using aluminum. But i have some concerns, what if condensation occurred in the tubes? I dont water coming in my laptop, and how is the water supposed to cool? after about 30 min, i dont think the radiator would be able to cool it enough.

Have you looked at any desktop water cooling?

You'd need to ring up a fan and rad setup, and a simple tube runs. Then find a heat sink skinny enough to fit in the case.

Your condensation concerns are something to be worried about. Ultimately, if you are looking to keep your laptop dry but you cannot pull the liquid cooling feat off, I'd suggest

1. Getting a known-to-work notebook cooler. I have a Zalman and I've got two big 120mm fans on it. I've done Temp tests, before and after and this thing keeps my 17" laptop between 4-6 degrees cooler
2. Make sure dust has not and does not accumulate on your internal parts and keep the exhaust areas clear of dust

I have never heard of condensation in a common water cooling setup. Maybe with some exotic chillers or something. My first question is why? Even a high end dual gpu laptop wouldn't require this if used on a cooling mat. Why would you destroy a laptop to do this? It would surely make it un-portable or at least extremely risky to transport.

You could probably do a cool watercooling loop like the one patonb posted. Obviously you'd have to keep the heatsink on the cpu/gpu the same size, but if you kept the fans and everything intact I saw in a magazine, that I conveniently threw out I think, that they have connector clamp things that go on the loop that your turn them and it seals off the tubing so you could get a quick disconnect method out of that.

that would actually be a fun project if you could get your hands on a heatsink.

i can't be bothered to waste precious time waiting for a youtube video to load!!!

seriously though, it would take like 10 minutes for the video to load. stupid DSL...

Glad to see I have ideas that make sense though ;)

Yup.. The guy has the Zalman tower thingy, connected through quiuvck connects the run through small bore copper tubing and plates soldered around the stock heatsink.

You just unplug, cap asnd go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom