Running hot under load, even warm at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so this afternoon I've been doing some stress testing with the card, the factory core clock is 738 on this particular card... or at least that is what GPU-Z tells me. I bumped it up to 788 to try a stress test to see how it would hold up, so after running Furmark for barely 45 seconds the fan on the GPU was at 100% and the card was steadily rising up to 90C and continuing to rise at a very fast rate. So I figured maybe it was a little much, so I backed it down to the default settings and tried again, same thing the fan went to 100% at about 45 seconds again with the temp steadily rising to 90C and would have kept going if I had no stopped the stress test. Then for a last time tried it again below default settings of 718 and the same thing happened again, don't mean to keep pestering about the same issue, I'm still new to this and this just doesn't seem right to me.

Have you replaced the stock thermal goop? I've noticed almost all cards I buy new tend to have WAY to much on there and it actually hinders performance. Replace it with a grain of rice sized amount of Arctic Silver 5 and you should be ok. Also, Furmark over works the card so I don't use it as a standard of thermal testing. When you OC just go in to a game to see how fast the fan ramps up. One last thing, the card is going to get up to 90c fairly quickly unless the fan is already at 100% to begin with (lower idle temp) so that is pretty normal from what I've seen with these cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom