Help with new SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokor

Baseband Member
Today I got a new ssd, and finally a copy of Windows 7(64bit, Home Premium). I got everything working through following this guide: How to: Setup SSD boot drive with secondary Hard disc optimization - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net , but now I'm lost as to how I can access my old information (particularly my games). The HDD that has all my games on is also hooked up to my system, but when I try to get to it it seems like its reinstalling onto my SSD. What should I do? The SSD is a 60gb Vertex 3, by the way.

EDIT: I'm now getting BSOD every 30-45 minutes saying there is a problem with memory management. I am thinking this is happening because I added another 2gb of RAM, but does it have something to do with the SSD?

For the BSOD, you probably have memory errors, so one of your sticks are bad. I recommend running Memtest86+. Another possibility is the settings in the BIOS are not what they should be (voltages, etc). For your old games, you're going to want to probably reinstall them on the hard drive instead of trying to play them as is. Sometimes installers put files in different places than the program files and those aren't in your system any more.

What is the BSOD Stop*** code?

As for help with that guide, you need to ask the guy that made the guide.

I took out the 2gb stick I put in and I haven't had a BSOD since, so it looks like it was a bad stick. And does this mean I have no way of getting my old pics and movies back? I don't actually know how to find those.

When I try to redownload one of my games to my HDD, it says it already exists and over-writes it. This seems like a waste of time, but is it the only way I'm going to be able to get to my games?

Unless you had your previous profile encrypted (which I doubt), you should just be able to get them from your old hard drive (Found in Users/{username}/ if you're using Windows 7 or Vista). Are you using Steam to download the games? another client? or a stand alone download?

When I reinstall my OS on a new drive, I reinstall Steam and everything, and reinstall all games (from backups) and download the rest. I never touch my files as they are always on the same drive.

I'm guessing you have not formatted your old drive. In which case, all the windows files are still there, as well as the System Reserve partition that it automatically creates. I recommend you copy all your files (movies, pics, etc) to an external drive, if available, and format that old drive, then put everything back on there so it is nice and "clean."

I have all my games download from discs. Since I'm not really progressing at all I'm just going to download them all again. It shouldn't take too long. Thanks for all the help :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom