! Opinions on my gaming build !

Status
Not open for further replies.

gumball969

Beta member
Building a beast. Tell me if it's good please :)

------------------------------------
"The Monster"

• Intel® Core™ i7 2600K 3.40GHz (8MB Cache) Quad Core Processor
• Corsair® Hydro Series H70 Liquid CPU Cooler with Push/Pull Airflow
• Intel® Z68 Chipset
• Gigabyte Z68X-UD5-B3 Motherboard
• 8GB Corsair® DOMINATOR DDR3-1600
• Dual NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 580 1.5GB GDDR5 in SLI
• Corsair® 115GB SSD (285/275MB/Sec SandForce Controller)
• 2TB - SATA2 3Gb/s 7200rpm 32MB Cache HDD
• Antec 1200 Super Gaming Case
• Antec "Quattro" 1200W PSU with 80 PLUS SILVER Certification

I'd go with G.Skill memory; heat spreaders are much smaller and more compatible with different cpu coolers. I don't think there will be an issue with an H70, but it wouldn't hurt.

Also it appears you have SATA II hard drive/ssd. You want SATA III; much faster (for ssds at least). OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS edition = best imo.

Actually, SATA II and SATA III drives both don't fill up the pipe of a SATA II connection. But yha, there are faster read/write drives out there.

Also 1200W is overkill, you only need 850-1000W tops, especially with a psu like the Antec.

Unless you really like the Antec 1200, get something else. Great case, but not the best or cabling.

It looks beastly for gaming, few things I noticed to add to the guys above:

The i7 2600k and i5 2500k will perform within <10 FPS of each other in gaming (not always in the i7's favor), worth saving $100 and getting the i5.

You seem to be missing an optical drive and operating system.

Also, where are you purchasing from? When I check Newegg I see 2 other issues:
1) That Gigabyte board is "open box", which is not a term I like to trust.
2) The Corsair H70 is out of stock/deactivated, also on Tigerdirect.

Looks like this build is around $2,200 as is.
If you post a budget and country where you're purchasing I'm sure people here would be more than happy to help you optimize it.

*Edit - I'm bored, so here is a suggestion in line with what you have chosen:
CPU (-$95): $220 Intel i5 2500k.
Cooler (?): $93 Corsair Hydro Series H80.
MB (+$40): $280 ASRock Z68 Extreme7, assume you want PCIe 2.0 x16/x16 SLi.
RAM (-$30): $70 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600, lower voltage and CAS is a good thing.
GPU (?): $1,000 MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC, x2 @ $500 each.
SSD (+10): $170 120GB OCZ Agility 3, +5GB and SATA III instead of II.
HDD (?): $120 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, x2 @ $60 each.
PSU (-$40): $200 OCZ ZX 1000w, still plenty of power and 80+ Gold efficient.
Case (=$): $160 Corsair Graphite 600T, personal preference I know but Corsair makes a great case.
+ Case Fans: $40 120mm Xigmatek Extreme Silent, x4 @ $10 for the side panel.
+ Optical Drive: $19 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner.
+ Operating System: $100 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit OEM.

Total = $2,472 (before rebates/shipping/combo deals).
+$14.50 for shipping, -$130 for rebates, didn't look at combo deals.

Roark! you are starting to make me think im not needed around here anymore.. :p haha

but my son, you have more to learn ;)

i agree with getting an i5 over the i7, unless you are going to be doing any encoding or video editing, you wont be able to utilize the 4 hyper threaded cores that the i7 offers....

This mother board is cheaper and i trust MSI a lot more than AsRock... personally i would never EVER put an AsRock in my build... i would get either one of these:

Newegg.com - MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Roark! you are starting to make me think im not needed around here anymore.. :p haha

but my son, you have more to learn ;)

i agree with getting an i5 over the i7, unless you are going to be doing any encoding or video editing, you wont be able to utilize the 4 hyper threaded cores that the i7 offers....

This mother board is cheaper and i trust MSI a lot more than AsRock... personally i would never EVER put an AsRock in my build... i would get either one of these:

Newegg.com - MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS P8P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

I like the build in your SIG.. I am looking at the same type of build for gaming.. do you think it will work out well ?

I'm currently unemployed, I have nothing better to do than sit on the forums spamming F5 and ninjaing posts :big_smile:

I made the motherboard suggestion based on his original board, specifically Z68 chipset, ATX, and PCIe 2.0 x16/x16 in SLi (probably not necessary but, meh).
I guess for $70 more you can snag the Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD7-B3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom