CPU Core temp and CPUTIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riznarf

In Runtime
Hey all,

I just built a new rig with a i5-2500k (stock speeds and HSF). I got SpeedFan and saw the core temps are all 30-35ish celcius idling, but the CPUTIN ~120c which seems real hot. What is CPUTIN and is that temp normal? Thanks.

-Riznarf

Just Googling around I saw that high readings for the CPUTIN isn't that rare.
From Tom's Hardware:
CPUTIN is CPU Temperature Input.

Core temperatures are always higher than CPU temperature, which means the tables for your CPU temperature are miscoded in BIOS. You can try flashing your BIOS to the latest release, which will sometimes correct the inaccuracy.

You're core temps are great so as long as you aren't getting BSODs, random shut-downs, or smoke and fire, its probably just a misreading/glitch.

Try using HWMonitor (CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting) and see if you're getting the same readings.

Yes my brother has a similar error on his AMD board which gives an extremely high constant temperature from speedfan. This is not correct; there is nothing to be worried about. (Honestly, if something was that hot, your computer would probably shut down or something...) :)

Yes my brother has a similar error on his AMD board which gives an extremely high constant temperature from speedfan. This is not correct; there is nothing to be worried about. (Honestly, if something was that hot, your computer would probably shut down or something...) :)

Ok, thats what i figured. Thank you both for the reassuring responses. On a sidenote, whats an"average" load temp for a i5-2500 @ stock? Ive seen 70-90c?

A max load temp (Prime95/LinX) should be mid-60s to low-70s tops.
If its going over 80°c with everything stock something is awry.

After getting SpeedFan to monitor my temps, i put my GPU to a stress test and it was hitting mid-80s on stock clock. Kinda made me nervous but I then got Afterburner and saw the fans were only running at about 40%. When I knocked them up to 85% the temp dropped to 68-72, which is fine, right?

Final question, why will Afterburner only let me spin the GPU fan at 85%? Anytime I tried to go higher it would settle on 85%....same thing on eVGA's Precision software. Is that just how GPU fans are?

Gpu's are good till 100C.

I run mine at 100% load and 81C 24/7.

You can't go above 85% as the card probably uis programed not tooi. I've had that with a core setting before.

Ok, cool, thx. One last thing, and I know this is the wrong forum to post this, so feel free to yell at me, but if I want to OC my GPU, just entry level at say...a ~10% OC (im at 732/1900 now) to say 800/2050, do I (or will I ever need to increase the GPU voltage like you do on a CPU OC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom