RAM Problem (i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Closedgate

Beta member
Hey i have this problem with my acer. Its a 2007 gaming computer, and it has 4gigs of ram. (4x 1gig ram pieces). So, i took all them out, checked them out and placed them back in. After that when i started my computer, the power would go on, but it wouldnt connect to anything, as in, it woudnt connect to my mouse, keyboard, screen etc.. Also on the "on button", where I turn my computer on glows a blue light when the computer is running, now when i turn it on theres no light. We did this same thing with my friend yesterday on his computer, the same thing happened when we added a new 512mb of ram, but when we took the ram away, it worked again. But for me, i still have the ram as i used to, and i still have the same problem! Help meh! THX:D

Oh and my computer is acer aspire m3200

An issue with ram would not cause this, This is most likely a problem with your motherboard.

Does your computer post normally? do you hear the fans start up. do the internal components work? Does your hdd spin up, does the cd drive open?

Best guess is that a power surge fried your motherboard (check for discoloration on the board). If you can switch out the board with a new one would be the easier way to test this.

An issue with ram would not cause this, This is most likely a problem with your motherboard.

Does your computer post normally? do you hear the fans start up. do the internal components work? Does your hdd spin up, does the cd drive open?

Best guess is that a power surge fried your motherboard (check for discoloration on the board). If you can switch out the board with a new one would be the easier way to test this.
To be honest, i dont know what "Does your computer post normally?" means. And yes, the fans start up and they work. I have no idea what an internal component is. Also, whats a hdd? And yes my cd drive opens. And i hope that the power surge didnt fry my motherboard, but it is possible. (whats a discoloration?) But thanks anyway:)

And also, i dont even know what the motherboard looks like. As you may see, i don't know a lot about computers, but i do know the basics about whats inside the computer. I know what a graphics card is and i know where its located etc.. i know some stuff, but most i have no idea about.

The motherboard is the main board of the computer, Everything connects to it. Graphics card plugs into, CPU, Ram. It's also what your mouse kbd, and monitor connect to.

If you're not sure what a motherboard is then you probably shouldn't try to replace it yourself. If you have a tech friend that would be good. if nothing else you can take it in to get serviced.

Why did you remove the RAM in the first place?

Did you unplug the computer from the wall BEFORE pulling or reinserting the RAM?

Did you observe necessary ESD precautions BEFORE reaching in the computer and BEFORE touching any RAM?

You might wanna clear the cmos and see if that works, like above said did you follow the precautions because they may have been chance that the
RAM may have be been damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom