hard drive acess is stupid slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the world would end if you lost the data of this drive you can send it in to get the voice coil replaced or the data transferred to another drive, but either way you go with data recovery or simply tossing it and buying a new one I highly suggest buying a 7500 rpm seagate drive or a solid state drive... 10k rpm drives fail a lot more than 7500, and solid states are even better because they have no moving parts at all.

lol oh i did. but that would be PC brutality i might get sued haha.
i cant really kick it any more the front plate falls off every time already. i loved my old sony vaio desktop that thing was built for punching i almost broke my knuckle. but it worked every time. i punch it and whatever it was doing stops and i get what i asked for.

yea its been happening pretty much since i bought the drive, i didnt expose it to any kind of shock or anything i was very carefull with it untill recently when this started to get on my nerfs.

a solid state does sound nice.

oh btw what would you guys recommend for SSD system drive
under 100 dollars and 40-60gb is good for me but i wuld like fast acess speed etc
i havent done any research on ssd so dont know anything about it.
are SSDs generally faster than 7200 drives?

Yeah SSDs will blow the casing off a 7200.
60GB OCZ Agility 3, $90 after rebate.

I had an old Gateway that was the same as your Vaio, kept it on the floor so I could give it a swift kick though.
Nothing quite as satisfying as using brute force as a last resort, and having it actually work.

You can get a decent SSD for less than 100, but be aware that if you get a SSD so small that windows 7 clean install with updates and drivers will take almost 20gig alone. Once you add on software like word suit, games (in my case MMOs which can take up about 20gig each)

If you think you can keep the OS + program size down to about 50gig you should be fine with using another drive for storage.

Also a lot of people don't realize this after getting a SSD... NEVER ever defrag a SSD (they don't need it, and they have a finite number of write sequences. which is a lot, but still)

You could put your games on a secondary hdd, but if you do that you don't get the performance boost from the SSD. For instance with WoW on a 7500 drive it takes about 10 secs or so for loading screens and with an SSD about 750 read it takes about 2 secs.

yea i have 36gb right now and its enough for me since i have about 2 TB of storage drives.
its usually at 25gb tops if it gets more i clean it up theres no need to have more than that on system drive. and i dont play games at all.
it really doesnt matter how much space you get, you can have 10 TB and it will be 75% full within months, or you can have 500gb and it will be 75% full with everything you need. i have files here onmy PC since high school that keep geting transferred to new disk every time but never used lol i went to high school 15 years ago.

thanks for the tip tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom