new build idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

cidvicious

Solid State Member
I have this idea to build a lan computer from a Dewalt hammer drill case(sorry dont have the demensions handy) heres the deal...I want to keep the opening function of the case....can this be done?

Thats a really cool idea.
I'd think that depending on the dimensions of the case, form factor of components used, tools available, and your know-how it should be possible.

The problem I would imagine would be is the case being wide enough for the GPU, PSU, and CPU cooler.
Also, not sure if there is a downside to putting computer components in a plastic box like that.

Well the components will fit. Ive seen alot of hardware stuffed in old xboxes and nintendos....my concern is were the case hinges...im not sure how thats going effect the mobo placement.

I'd say generally do placement like a standard build.
MB in the top left, ODD in the top right either facing toward to handle or side, HDD/SSD below the ODD.
PSU would probably have to go below the HDD/SSD, doubt there would be room below the MB.

Obviously not to scale, but my ghetto MS Paint concept:
dewaltcasebuild.png

If everything is laying flat it should fit in, and since nothing would be attached to the other side you could open/close without issue.

*Edit - Looking at dimensions of parts the ODD would probably have to face the side and the HDD/SSD would probably have to be placed on it's side instead of laying flat

Why? Portability?

Why not just get a laptop if that is the case?

Ever find the dimensions of the old dewalt box?

I think it would be cool to build a computer that will have the power to compete at lan and portability of the case.

I think the hardest part of this whole idea would be fitting the parts in the case. If it's what I'm thinking of then it's a preformed plastic case so you'll have to basically clear out all the plastic molding and then create fittings to hold everything in. I think the hardest thing will be maintaining the structural integrity of it so it doesn't like warp and fall apart or crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom