Needing suggestions on a rig for BF3 at atleast medium settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CellDust

Beta member
As the topic reads. I currently don't have a budget for this build but I don't want to go like $1,000+ but willing to do so if needed. I also want to apologize in advance for my ignorance on the subject matter. I'm only 18 and I've always had my hand held in building a computer.

Case: I know I'd like to go with a Cooler Master HAF-X. I want to keep everything inside nice and cool but if there's something equivalent or better at a better price then by all means let me know.

Processor: I can't decide between a hexa-core i7 or the Phenom II X6. The only things on processors I really get is the amount of cores and the GHz on them and I don't see much of a difference between the two, so if anyone can help me on this I'd like to know. also, heatsinks and fans. I do plan on using an after-market heatsink and fan for my processor. My main hopes with this build is keeping my hardware cool and having kick-*** performance.

Mobo: Second biggest thing I'm confused about. There's just so many to choose from that I get very confused, especially since I'm also confused about which processor to get.

RAM: As for ram, maybe 4-6 gigs. I've already got 4 gigs with my current PC but I'd kinda like to upgrade since they're only DDR2.

Graphics: As previously stated, GTX580. I don't want SLI atm due to my current power supply that I plan to re-use.

PSU: I'm currently using a 750 Watt power supply and I can't remember the manufacturer for the life of me, if I find the box I'll add it in this post.

Disc Drive: Something decent but not expensive. I don't really know what makes one so good besides maybe speeds at which they can read a disc.

Hard Drive: I will probably re-use the hard drive from my current PC but if that causes problems then steer me to something atleast 500 gigs or higher.

EDIT: Wanted to add a couple more things.

Mouse/Keyboard: This I will be re-using. They're not that great but they usually do me good in online FPS's.

Moniter: I've heard alot of different opinions on these lately, mostly with gaming in 1080p. Now, I'm not saying I want to go so far as to be able to play in 1080p but it would be nice. Apparently all that is necessary is a 24" moniter with 1ms input lag (or something like that, can't remember from the discussion). This is something I'll probably pick up later anyways because my current 19" is doing me fine.

I'd greatly appreciate anyone that can help me with making this build, and yes I know Battlefield 3 isn't released yet, or is the beta, but this is based on pure speculation on what hardware is needed. If you really don't know then atleast use Crysis 2 as a better reference. I also know it sounds kinda dumb to build a PC around one game but the way I figure it is if I can run this game with atleast medium settings then most other games these days I should run fine without problems. Again, thank you to anyone willing to help me with building this PC.

Case: The CM HAF X is easily one of my favorite cases for cooling potential and looks (the blue LED version atleast). However, I don't think I could personally justify spending $180-$200 on a case, especially on a budget. I really like the recently released Corsair Carbide 400R and the 500R that is coming 9/23 ($100-$140).

Processor: 6-Core processors won't have any benefit to gamers since no games out (or coming soon) utilize more that 4 cores. The Intel i5 2500k is probably the best gaming CPU available right now. The stock HS/F for the i5 is fine for stock speeds, but you certainly want an aftermarket if you plan on overclocking it. Depending on how high you would overclock aftermarket HS/Fs can run $30-$100+.

Motherboard: For the i5 2500k you need a socket 1155 motherboard and either a P67 or Z68 northbridge. I'm personally a fan of P67, and its arguably the most popular choice.

RAM: You would have to upgrade to dual channel DDR3 for the new motherboard.

Graphics: GTX 580, awesome.

Power supply: I am curious as to the manufacturer. An unreliable PSU can fry your other components, but if its been working fine for you for this long maybe it won't blow up your new parts...

Disc Drive: Generally $20 for your generic 24x DVD/CD burner.

Quick and Dirty:
CPU + MB: $350 i5 2500k + Asus P8P67.
RAM: $33 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CAS9.
GPU: $500 MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC ($25 rebate).
ODD: $20 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner.

Already hit $900 and thats before a Case, monitor, CPU cooler, and Windows 7.

If you go AMD you can get CPU, MB, Win7 for $327 and use the other parts; but you'll be at $880 w/o a case, monitor, cpu cooler.
CPU + OS: $217 AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE + Win7.
MB: $110 ASRock 970 Extreme4 AM3+.

Might consider dropping down to a GTX 570, same MSI Twin Frozr II OC ($20 rebate) model will save you about $145 to put toward other parts.

Case: The CM HAF X is easily one of my favorite cases for cooling potential and looks (the blue LED version atleast). However, I don't think I could personally justify spending $180-$200 on a case, especially on a budget. I really like the recently released Corsair Carbide 400R and the 500R that is coming 9/23 ($100-$140).

Processor: 6-Core processors won't have any benefit to gamers since no games out (or coming soon) utilize more that 4 cores. The Intel i5 2500k is probably the best gaming CPU available right now. The stock HS/F for the i5 is fine for stock speeds, but you certainly want an aftermarket if you plan on overclocking it. Depending on how high you would overclock aftermarket HS/Fs can run $30-$100+.

Motherboard: For the i5 2500k you need a socket 1155 motherboard and either a P67 or Z68 northbridge. I'm personally a fan of P67, and its arguably the most popular choice.

RAM: You would have to upgrade to dual channel DDR3 for the new motherboard.

Graphics: GTX 580, awesome.

Power supply: I am curious as to the manufacturer. An unreliable PSU can fry your other components, but if its been working fine for you for this long maybe it won't blow up your new parts...

Disc Drive: Generally $20 for your generic 24x DVD/CD burner.

Quick and Dirty:
CPU + MB: $350 i5 2500k + Asus P8P67.
RAM: $33 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CAS9.
GPU: $500 MSI GTX 580 Twin Frozr II/OC ($25 rebate).
ODD: $20 Sony Optiarc 24x DVD/CD Burner.

Already hit $900 and thats before a Case, monitor, CPU cooler, and Windows 7.

If you go AMD you can get CPU, MB, Win7 for $327 and use the other parts; but you'll be at $880 w/o a case, monitor, cpu cooler.
CPU + OS: $217 AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE + Win7.
MB: $110 ASRock 970 Extreme4 AM3+.

Might consider dropping down to a GTX 570, same MSI Twin Frozr II OC ($20 rebate) model will save you about $145 to put toward other parts.

The main reason I want a 6 core processor is to keep myself somewhat future ready. Plus, I'm willing to go expensive. I might go with an i5 quad core but currently my heart is really set on a 6 core. I like the looks of those Corsair cases and they look like they'll do the job just fine too.

My power supply brand is ULTRA and it's the X-Connect 4 series.

Games are only starting to utilize 4 cores, by the time they get to 6 you'd want to upgrade anyway.
The i5 has the 1100T in performance and, if you're willing to go expensive, its the better choice.
Not sure what else to say, so here is a 1100T vs 2500k comparison.

Never heard of Ultra, but they review fairly well so should be fine with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom