want to build heavy duty but non-gaming pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoryP

Baseband Member
building a pc for a friend just want to check the parts I picked out and get your opinions, like I said he isnt gaming on it, he just wants an awesome computer that will be super fast and last a long time, he mainly uses it for playing music and watching movies, and he has a family so his kids might get on for school purposes. I went with Intel cuz I thought that would be a better quality cpu and will have better speeds compared to amd. I will probably overclock it a little bit too, just to get a little more speed out of it.
So check it out and let me know what you think

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=17339445

Just some ideas to cut cost:
1) You can get a 6-Core AMD and MB for about $90 less than the 4-Core Intel setup. A little bit slower, but for general use it shouldn't be noticeable.
$170 AMD Phenom II X6 1090T.
$110 ASRock 970 Extreme4 AM3+.
2) 2TB is a ton of space, I'm doubtful a family would even come close to filling it + 120GB SSD, $20 cheaper to get a faster 1TB.
$60 1TB Samsung Spoinpoint F3.

Was going to suggest a lower PSU since the whole system will only draw about 300W, but its only a few dollars less to get a quality 450-500w.

Don't forget thermal paste for the CPU cooler and a copy of Windows 7 64-Bit.

Just some ideas to cut cost:
1) You can get a 6-Core AMD and MB for about $90 less than the 4-Core Intel setup. A little bit slower, but for general use it shouldn't be noticeable.
$170 AMD Phenom II X6 1090T.
$110 ASRock 970 Extreme4 AM3+.
2) 2TB is a ton of space, I'm doubtful a family would even come close to filling it + 120GB SSD, $20 cheaper to get a faster 1TB.
$60 1TB Samsung Spoinpoint F3.

Was going to suggest a lower PSU since the whole system will only draw about 300W, but its only a few dollars less to get a quality 450-500w.

Don't forget thermal paste for the CPU cooler and a copy of Windows 7 64-Bit.
Just gonna point out some flaws with this if you don't mind (not saying your suggestion is bad, but I didn't say the following for these reasons).

1) Unless they will be doing Photoshop, encoding, converting, or anything that will use more than 4 cores getting a slower AMD will in fact not be wise. Typical family things will only use 1 or 2 cores tops so they want faster single thread performance. Also silly little things that use more RAM bandwidth will be in favor of the 2500k as well. He did say he would overclock, so it would be better to put a cooler chip under that Hyper.

2) You would be surprised. I know tons of single computer families that can fill and surpass 2TB worth of space. Kids like to hog up on music these days and tend to install pointless things that will probably fill a 120GB SSD.

I agree with PP, there is no good reason to buy a AMD 6 core cpu. If you want to save money buy a faster quad core like a PII X4 975 BE or the PII X4 980 BE. But I think the OP will be happier in the long run with a Intel i5 2500K.

Fair enough.
Just making a point, top-end AMD systems are much cheaper and for basic internet surfing and music/movies shouldn't be noticeably slower.
Insert X4 980 BE instead of the X6 1090T and its the same price.
When my family shared a computer it was back in the "blazing fast 500MHz CPU" and "huge 100MB hard drive capacity" days.
I guess with 4-ish people today on one machine storing their own music/movies/files/programs 2TB isn't a huge stretch.

If he is happy to spend the money its a great build. I just keep an eye out, trying to help people save a buck.

thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it.
My friend doesnt mind spending alittle bit more to get top quality parts. Thats why I want to get the Intel.
I do think that ssd drive you picked out PP is a better fit, I will add that to my list.
As for HD I wanted to go with the 2TB cuz he has like 3 external HD filled with a crap ton of music and movies, so I figured the 2TB would be better then just the 1TB

so do you think the PSU is good or should I change that
I already have Thermal paste from my build that I did left over, and he bought a copy of win7 for his computer a couple months ago. If he isnt gonna use that pc anymore, can I put that copy on this PC?

I like the PSU, like I said you could get a lower watt one but it would only save about $5 and it wouldn't be semi-modular.

As long as he bought a retail version of Windows, and not an OEM copy, it can be transferred to a new computer.
To check:
Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. On General Tab, under “Registered to:” you can see a product ID (divided into 4 groups of characters separated by hyphens). On an OEM installation, the 2nd group of characters is always OEM whereas on a Retail installation, you will see numbers (such 623).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom