asking for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandcracker21

Beta member
I have a good friend that works for dell and gets a healthy discount/rebate on computers. He's offered me one of his alienware aurora r3 desktops...

Mobo: Intel p67 express
Cpu: i7-2600k oc to 4.2
gpu: nvidea gtx 590 3gb
psu: 875 watt (forgot brand)
ram: cosair 8gb 1333mz
hdd: Western Digital 1tb 7200 32mb cache

Omega claro 7.1 sound card (I have one laying around)
windows 7 premium 64

He wants 1700$ for it and its still under waranty for about another year. Do ya guys/gals think this is a good deal? Any coments/input?

Mobo: $hardtosay, probably $120?
CPU: $315
GPU: $750
PSU: ~$100 lets say
RAM: ~$50
HDD: $50
Win7: $120

total so far is ~$1,500 new. What case? Monitor included? Brand name of PSU would be good.

Ill double check the psu brand tomorrow tomorrow. The case is the alienware aurora r3 case and has liquid cooling built in for the gpu

Eh, soulphire, the power supply is more than that, and the liquid cooler is probably $80, plus that includes windows... i think $1700 is fair.... after tax and shipping it would cost at least that to build, probably a little more...

Yea, I thought it was a good deal. The only things I don't like are the slow ram (ill upgrade that myself to prob 1866) and the slower hdd

And fyi this is for just the tower

You'll get better performance by upgrading the memory to 1600 and overclocking the cpu higher. You have the gpu watercooled? Is the cpu also watercooled? or both? How big is the radiator, (1) 120mm fan, (2) 120mm fans (one on each side), (2) 120mm fans (side by side) or more? Or does it have more than (1) radiator?

Only the cpu is water cooled. I'm not 100% sure what kind of cooling fans the case has, it did have a separate area for the hdd(s) that had its own exhaust fan. (Its the aurora r3 case)

So 1600 is a better option than 1866 for the i7-2600k? Is it even worth it to upgrade from 1333?

See how much you can sell the 1333mhz sticks you have currently for. If you can get a good price, use the money to buy a faster set. If not, I wouldn't bother upgrading it, 1333Mhz will still do you fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom