Case + PSU Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha good analagy.. You just need any 1156 socket board. I'd really consider a usefd board, as alot of people dumped them to upgrade to 1155 Sandybridge systems.
I always have had a way with words.

Anyway, I literally mean it when i have NO IDEA about computer parts... the most basic "measure" of how good something is for me would be price. Just tell me what to look for and I can do the rest.

This is one of the reasons I bought this Dell, to save the headache of looking for parts and all that. The irony? I think so!

I guess you would want to know what my ultimate aim with this computer would be, probably in future get an i5 and some branded RAM along with a second GTX card for SLI, since that's the thing to do these days, no? I most likely won't be playing the latest games anyway, only stuff such as Minecraft or World of Tanks which is horribly unoptimised... even if they disagree. The closest to cutting edge I'll get might be BF3 but I'm not looking for a system to run at super high settings anyway..

The main games I'll be playing will be those 2 above and RTS of days gone by.

I'm not bothered about getting a used mobo either.. just gimme a name and I'll look 'em up! ^^

Oh, sorry, never meant to imply, good luck szo long and good luck finding a mobo.

As I dont know where youre at, or the avaliability in your area, I had in my head, you'd find some boards and then post them up here, and we can inform you.

We'd never leave you hanging.

Oh, sorry, never meant to imply, good luck szo long and good luck finding a mobo.

As I dont know where youre at, or the avaliability in your area, I had in my head, you'd find some boards and then post them up here, and we can inform you.

We'd never leave you hanging.
Didn't think you would... just wanted you to do my shopping for me and you'll see in this post why.. :p

I looked at several.. I'll just list them here I guess, too much numbers and letters... not enough raw data for my head to process (that I understand anyway).

It's this processor i have btw.. so we are clear: Intel® Core

===========
My pricepoint I'm looking for is around £100 since I'll have to purchase a copy of Win7 64 bit which bumps me up another £100 or so, no? Can maybe extend into £150 since I will have my college bursary sorted soon hopefully..

--
ASUS P7P55D-E LX - P55 Express - Socket 1156 - PCI-E 2.0 - DDR3 2200(OC) - CrossFire - USB 3.0 - SATA 6Gb/s - SATA RAID - ATX: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
--
ASUS P7P55D-E - Intel P55 Express - Socket 1156 - PCI-E 2.0 (x16) - DDR3 2200(OC) - SATA 6Gb/s - SATA RAID - HD Audio (8-channel) - Gigabit Ethernet - ATX: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
--
ASUS P7P55D-E PRO - P55 Express - Socket 1156 - PCI-E 2.0 - DDR3 2200(OC) - SLI + CrossFireX - 2 x PCIe 2.0 x16 - USB 3.0 - SATA 6Gb/s - SATA RAID - ATX: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
--
ASUS P7P55D-E LX - P55 Express - Socket 1156 - PCI-E 2.0 - DDR3 2200(OC) - CrossFire - USB 3.0 - SATA 6Gb/s - SATA RAID - ATX: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories
--
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-389-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1495

I think this one would be overkill but I'd like an EVGA board since i got an EVGA card... but perhaps that's not very cost effective of me:

EVGA P55 FTW 200 Socket 1156 Motherboard - 141-LF-E658-KR - CCL Computers

And yes, I may have just posted the same board twice.. my googlefu is good but when it comes to electronics I'm royally boned.

Since I'm gonna need a new OS anyway I just saw a sweet bundle deal that gives me exactly what I want plus an extra HDD...

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=SW-000-OP

Man, it really really kills me to see someone pay 100 pounds for discontinued items... I found this at scan
MSI H55M-E23 Intel H55 Express 1156 Motherboard - Scan.co.uk

50 pounds, which saves you a tonne of cash to put towards a 1155 board/cpu in the future.

It'll do everything and more the dell does, but you cant do dual cards.
Money will not be an object in future, I'm studying mechanical engineering and I live in Aberdeen (Oil capital of Europe) so getting a job, in theory, shouldn't be an issue...

I won't upgrade in the next few years most likely, which means by the time I do upgrade I will be, hopefully, rolling around in cash.

One problem with the board you suggested, I can see from looking at it anyway, it seems as though it only has 2 slots for RAM which means I'm losing 2GB of RAM too which kinda sucks.

Would this work:

Asus P7P55D-E Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard [90-MIBBN0-G0EAY00Z]

Along with the case you suggested previously:

BitFenix Merc Alpha Gaming Case - Black []

?

If so I think I'll just go for that. I googled around and the only difference between P55 and H55 is that H55 has onboard graphics and P55 does not, correct? If so, do I really need the onboard considering I've got the graphics card? Also what should I do with the spare HD5450 I'll have?

EDIT: I found a use for that spare £50 i would have if i used the board you suggested

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ...ry/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=pd_bxgy_computers_text_c

Moar RAM? Everybody loves RAM! So I'm thinking that your board + my RAM + your case = winwinwin yes? If so, I'm ordering that RAM ASAP since I don't know how long I'm getting 60% off ... and I'll get the rest when I have the cash :D

EDIT2: I found this RAM for over £200 at less than £50... wondering if it's better than the above RAM and why? :p

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128453&pf_rd_i=468294

Trust me... Oil industry isn't a garentee... I'm a Metullurgist in the Oil capital of Canada... Last year was pretty rough. Jobs dried up pretty bad in the oil sands. But its back up so I'm buisy.

I'm not a RAM Guy, so i can't help you out there. Yes that board only has 2 ram spots, but running 4 sticks saddens your computer. 8gigs is plenty in a 4x2.. I think that ram for 230 is its original price in the 50's or something...

From what I know your first choice is a bit better at 9-9-9-24 vs 9-9-9-27

Having an onboard is nice for trouble shooting, and for a media server in a 2nd life. Now don't get me wrong those boards you posted are VERY nice, but a bit overkill...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom