Current PC Build (Gaming) Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windforce

Solid State Member
  • Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500
  • ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL (x2)
  • CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-850TX 850W ATX12V v2.2 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active ...
  • EVGA 01G-P3-1561-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti FPB (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0
  • Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
  • COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
  • ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Current PC Build above, mainly for Diablo 3. Only thing missing is an after market CPU cooler. Although I don't really dab with overclocking so I'm not sure if I will get one. Thoughts / opinions? I am sticking intel/nvidia as far as CPU/Graphics are concerned.

Is this what you already have, or are planning on getting?

If you already have this build don't bother with an aftermarket CPU cooler, the 2500 has extremely limited overclock potential.
The stock cooler is fine for the level it is capped at.

If this is what you plan on getting then switch to the i5 2500K. The K version has an unlocked multiplier and can overclock much further.
For CPU cooler grab a Corsair CAFA70 or CM Hyper 212+.
16GB of RAM is overkill for a gaming rig, you'll be fine with one 8GB kit.
Unless you're planning on getting a second GPU you can drop your PSU down to a Corsair TX650 V2.
If you save $55 on RAM and $50 on the PSU you can bump your GPU up to an EVGA GTX 570.

Define overkill.. lol ;)

So I should go with K, I am not familiar with over clocking though, is it hard? Possible damage?

EDIT - This is the build I am currently building TO PURCHASE. I do not have this yet.

The highest recommended system RAM I've seen for a game is 4GB for BF3 which isn't even out yet.
You're getting 4x as much RAM as one of the most system intensive games that's going to be released this year.
Diablo 3 beta recommends 2GB, so thats 8x the RAM for that. You're spending $ on something you'll never utilize.

I haven't overclocked the 2500K yet, but from all accounts I've read it isn't too difficult.
The CPU and motherboard you're getting are very popular, I'm sure it won't be hard to find a guide online to do it.
Heat is the OC killer, as long as you have adequate cooling and don't push it beyond what it can handle temp wise its fine.
Combo deal to save $20 Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!.

There really isn't any reason not to get the K version, its only $10 more, or $10 less if you get the combo.
Even if you don't overclock it that fact that you can will increase the resale value later down the road if you want to sell your machine.

*Edit - Also, you need thermal paste if you're applying an aftermarket cooler Tuniq TX-2 or Tuniq TX-4. Reviews say theres a 3-4°c difference between them.

Good deal so dropping that ram out and sticking with 8gb's total I will save some money to throw on a better GPU, very nice. Thank you for suggesting the combo bundle as well. Now as far as the PSU is concerned. The video card you linked requires this "Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 38 Amps." which I am unsure if the current PSU I have listed retains this. Why downgrade the PSU I always thought having more power was good especially with running two monitors or the possibility of eventually running SLI. Also the case I have has some extra areas for case fans (I am unsure) thank you for your help so far!

The monitors draw power from the wall, not your power supply.
Case fans draw a negligible amount of power.

There is nothing wrong with having more power than you need, I'm just frugal and try to cut out excess that isn't needed.
Either PSU will run the card I linked, but if you plan on running SLi then you will want a 850w one.
Corsair TX850 V2 same price, but more efficient.

I doubt I'll be SLI'ing as Diablo 3 will really be the only game I'll be playing. provided the links/tweaks you suggested do you thinkI have a solid reliable build?

Yes, the manufacturers you've selected are among the best, if not the best, for the components chosen.

When purchasing make sure you double check for any combo deals to save some extra cash.
If you sign up for the Newegg e-mail they send you promo codes, might get lucky on items you plan on getting.

Remember, if you decide to get an aftermarket CPU cooler don't forget the thermal paste.
And don't forget an OS, Win7 64-Bit OEM if you don't have another in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom