Power Supply help, 380 enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitsu3kGTVR4

Baseband Member
I'm finally building my computer, and I'm not sure if the 380 watt power supply that comes in the Antec Sonata is enough for what I have, but I like it's silence. If it isn't enough what could happen if I used it?

What would you recommend for:

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
AMD Athlon 64 3500
3 hard drives
16x dvd burner
52x cd rom
108 mbps wireless network card
ati 9600 video card
1 gb ballistix

I think that's it for now...

your computer could run on a 380Watt PSU with those, but if you plan on adding other stuff it won't run that good, I mean a 380 isn't good enough for the future hardware, you've got a good computer there. If the computer doesn't have enough power, it will just freeze. The DVD RW drains a lot of power too. A good power supply would be some 450Watt ThermalTake. Look on newegg, they're like 50 bucks or so with little or no shipping.

oh... and what graphic card do you have? SE, PRO, XT? because those need a lot of juice too, especially if you are gonna play games.

I don't think his system will need anywhere near that amount of power.. For my system I have pretty much two of everything. Including processors, hard drives, and so on.

My APC unit report's that the system is drawing 216 Watt's, and that's with the monitor..

hhhmmm.... so I guess I'll try it for now and if the computer starts freezing I will upgrade. As long as the 380 won't damage anything I'll try it out. Thanks, oh yeah it's a 9600 pro

what you should watch for is probs mainly with your video output, if the monitor stops receiving signal sometimes at boot up, etc. i don't know how many fans you have or are planning to get but believe it or not that was what was a real strain on my PSU and ended up having to get a new one. i got a aspire 500 for like $60 and no more probs.

its the rails of amps that you have to look at in a PSU. good amp rails=good PSU, not necessarily the watts.

I think you're cutting it REALLY close. I would definately suggest something in the 450-500 range just to be safe and comfy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom