First Build Help Appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

brian1649

Baseband Member
Ok so this is my first build, not going for anything too fancy but i want a decent computer. Heres what i got so far:

Case and PSU combo:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

Mobo:

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-870A-USB3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU:

Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX

Ram:

Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL

Graphics Card:

Newegg.com - XFX HD-685X-ZNDC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity

Im using the hard drive out of my old computer- 500gb western digital i believe. I was wondering if i were to switch over this HDD with windows 7 on it would it work on my new build?

And also another big question, AMD vs Intel? the cpu listed here has a smiliar priced intel processor (Newegg.com - Intel Core i3-2105 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz 2 x 256KB L2 Cache 3MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32105) and i was wondering which is better?

Thanks for the help

Do not buy the Rosewill PSU. Get an Antec or Corsair TX model.

You can not switch over the OS. One, the serial is branded to your previous motherboard. If Win 7 is OEM, you can not transfer. Second of all, Windows will get all confused, as it is used to a set of hardware. That hardware is no longer there, so it has to work harder to find those new drivers, often results in a crash.

That Phenom is better than an i3. i3's are meant for low power and not for gaming.

Post your budget, main computer use (gaming/editing/web surfing/Etc..), and any extras you need like monitor/keyboard/mouse.

Okay thanks for the input on the PSU. And that really sucks so i guess i need a new hard drive and windows. thats a big chunk of money. But i dont really have a budget im sure you can see from the components im listed im not looking too high end. maybe six or seven hundred. Dont need a monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, yada yada, and ill use fans and my disc drive out of my old computer.

And you would say that CPU is somewhat decent? Would a step up to the intel i5 be more money than its worth?

One other idea is what if i bought i new HDD and plugged it into my old hp, using the recovery drive to reinstall windows on it? would that work? im sure windows probably has that protected but basically im looking for any way to not have to buy windows its so frigging expensive.

Thanks guys

CPU + MB: $212 AMD 965 BE + MSI 870A-G54 AM3.
RAM: $53 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 low-profile.
PSU: $70 XFX Core Edition PRO 550w.
GPU: $170 XFX HD 6850.
Case: $55 Rosewill Challenger.

Total = $665 (before shipping/rebates/other combo deals)
Around -$55 in rebates, +$15 shipping.
This is assuming you re-use your Hard Drive and Optical Drive.

Also suggest the $70 Antec NEO ECO 620w if Newegg gets it back in stock.

*Edit - If you want to keep your current computer intact:
HDD: $55 750GB WD Caviar Black.
ODD: $20 Asus 24x DVD/CD Burner.
+$1 to shipping.

Thanks for that list Roark. I think im gonna stick with the mobo and CPU i said above since its a cheaper combo for more CPU
What about this ram? Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
And also about the PSU ive heard that modular ones are better just because you get un-needed cables out of the computer for air flow purposes. Is this really needed?

Still dont know what to do about windows though maybe ill use linux or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom