Cold Cathode Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitmanuncut

Baseband Member
Hello everyone,

My question is does anyone know if all cold cathode light tubes are ultra violet or does it need to specify as such? I do not want to purchase a kit that is not going to illuminate my UV reactive water cooling tubing thats all, as it is meant to be UV reactive.
Thanks for any help on this one...

Just keep in mind all cold cathode lights will fade out and discolor anything plastic in your case. This means every bit of plastic on your board, and gpu. After a few months everything in your case will look terrible when the lights aren't on. This light will also cause the plastic to become brittle.

Thanks Sean, I wasn't sure as some kits mention uv and others don't. I'll be sure to grab a UV specified version now, thanks for the info.

Well I had no idea that they do that, more trouble than they are worth then for a bit of bling factor?

I didn't mention that Sean, good point. As an alternative I have been seeing some new LED lighting systems, try looking for something like that...

Aren't cold cathodes the new replacements to flourescent lighting and produce very little heat, hence the title name of them being cold cathode?

@ Hitmanuncut, please don't double post, if you have something else to add to the conversation and no one has posted a reply since your last post (within a 24 hr. period), please use the edit button (looks like a pencil) to add it to your previous post.

CCFL's are sort of moving into the market of incandescent and fluorescent lightbulbs but in the next 5-10 years the standard will be LED because LED's put out even less heat, draw less energy and have a much longer life span.

From wiki
A cold-cathode vacuum tube does not rely on external heating of an electrode to provide thermionic emission of electrons.

Yes cold cathodes do put out less heat because they don't rely on external heat to emit light (and heat as a by product), but they do put out heat which is how they emit light.

Think of the Cathode you'll put in your computer, it's most likely 12" tubes, maybe a couple 4" ones, to get good coverage in your case you'll need at least 2 12" strips and even then it's kinda spotty in some places depending on your case so you might need more, and that can be a decent amount of heat output considering how long you use your computer in any given stretch of gaming or work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom