Lighting Strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadolj

Beta member
Hello...this is my first post, so I hope I don't sound too much like an idiot.

I have a PC (Systemax custom build) and had a lightning strike that caused the MB to fry. I replaced the MB, processor and RAM. Only things left in the PC that were older were the PSU, HDD & DVD-ROM drive. Computer presented with the problem of not booting at all...checked the CPU and MB and noticed that they were scortched and CPU was not even heating after 2 seconds. The HDD made a couple clicking sounds but didn't fully boot...when HDD was hooked in to a SATA->USB, I was able to access the drive using another PC. PSU is sending ample power according to tester, but isn't powering the DVD-ROM. What am I missing here? After all the replacements, it still presents with the same problem.

HDD - 250GB Western Digital SATA
CPU - Intel E3400
MB - MSI G41M-P25
PSU - Allied ATX350W

Since most testers don't test the power supply under load there is a good chance it is still bad. I would test the pc with a different power supply.

A lightning strike can damage every component. The strike either travels through the Modem if the telephone line was hit or it go through the power supply if the power lines were hit.

If your board/cpu/ram suffered damage, the PSU most CERTAINLY suffered extensive damage, they are NOT meant to stop a strike, NOTHING stops a direct strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom