Upgrading, what would be the best choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansimax

Solid State Member
So I put together a pc last year and here are the specs. 6 gigs ddr3, i7 920 2.8 gig with water cooling, 1.5 tb hard drive and a ATI xfx 5870 video card. Now I am looking to make an upgrade however i'm not sure what would be the best for around 300~ dollars. Any help on this would be great, such as what other video card could I crossfire or if I should get more ram. Thanks guys!

There is deffinatly nothing wrong with your processor, you have plenty of ram, If you have $300 to use for an upgrade I would absolutely get another 5870 for crossfire...

What's the Make and wattage of your power supply? The i7 920 is a good cpu but at 2.8GHz it's going to be a bottleneck on (2) 5870's. If your watercooling then you should be able to overclock the 920 well past 2.8GHz. But you'll need more power for all of this.

I have a 750 power supply and I can't find any 5870's on new egg anymore, did they stop making them? Yeah I've pushed the processor to 3.6 gigz but it sits at about 60 degrees idol and 70~ when i play games like battlefield so I just put it back to regular since I thought that was too hot.

what type of watercooling are you using? Even a cheaper setup like a Corsair H50 should have better temps than that.

I can't seem to find mine on new egg but it's like a block that sits ontop of the processor then extends with to pipes to a heat sync and a fan

does it look like this?

corsair_h50_sink.jpg

It looks like the 5870 has been discontinued everywhere.

Personally I'd pick up a GTX 570, they are around $320.
Or you could crossfire HD 6850s for slightly better performance around the same price.

Thinking ahead though the GTX 570 can be SLi'd later, the 2x 6850s would have to be replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom