CPU Fan Failure/ CPU Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I doubt the first, Slay. While it is important, it was working fine before he moved it to the new case. So applying too much paste would be irrelevant.

I will confess that more paste came out of the tube than I intended but I spread it out evenly to correct that, but if I did put too much on, do you have any techniques that are safe to clean some of it off? Right now I have the processor laying upside down so the paste is on a newspaper.

Once I have an idea on how to clean it (if possible) I'm going to rebuild, check to see that the heatsink is secured properly, and hope that it cools down. If not then my plan of attack is to order a new fan...or maybe attempt water cooling since my case supports it. Sound good to you guys?

I was finally able to make it to Windows, downloaded HWMonitor and this is what it says:

CPUTIN 83 C 83 C 83 C

The temp for each core is is high 80s to high 90s in Celcius.

What type of paste did you use? Did you clean the old paste off or did you add more to the existing? Why did you try to spread it? You only need a little paste, about as much as a single grain of dried rice, and you should let the weight of the heatsink spread the paste for you.

If you are using Arctic Silver 5 paste then you need to throw it in the trash and get some good paste.

Newegg.com - Tuniq TX-2 Cooling Thermal Compound

remove your heatsink, clean all the paste off of the cpu and the heatsink using alcohol and a lint free cloth. Apply a small amount of paste to the center of the cpu (just a little is needed, about the size of a single grain of dried rice or about the size of a BB). Don't spread the paste, re-install the heatsink (the heatsink will spread the paste). Plug the fan into the power header on the mobo labeled CPU.

Alright I did what you said, cleaned the CPU, applied small amount of thermal paste, reseated the heat sink and fan and plugged it into the cpu fan header, turned on the computer the first time and reached the windows loading screen before it shut down. Turned it on a second and third time and both shut down before the black BIOS screens were finished. What is going on?

Can you remove the heatsink and take a picture of the paste pattern on the cpu and heatsink. It would be nice if you could also show us a picture of your setup with everything installed but with the side panel removed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom