"Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M – SLI" vs "Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M CrossfireX"

Status
Not open for further replies.

viperlaser

Beta member
"Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M – SLI" vs "Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M CrossfireX"

I want to buy an alienware and get confused on the video cards. Which really is better among these two? They say that since nvdia is more expensive it really is faster or better. Confusing part is they are both 2gb gddr5. Is it just the brand or the performance? I read also that Dual NVIDIA GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 Graphics Card in SLI is faster than Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M CrossfireX, is this true?

Right now im considering amd radeon dual 2gb just because it's "2gb" and cheaper than nvdia dual 2gb. But maybe it is better to get the dual nvdia 1.5gb, I still dont know the exact price differences and if it is worth it. Please help. Many thanks.

Re: "Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M – SLI" vs "Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M CrossfireX"

I would say 580M's because most games are coded round those cards with physX and CUDA ect ect......

Valkyrie

Re: "Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M – SLI" vs "Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M CrossfireX"

Thats not entirely true.

Gpu's and games are an odd thing. Some games excel on amd, others nvidia.
But yes, the nvidia top cards do beat the top amd, but not by a huge margine and the cost doesnt always justify that gain.
Plus SLI/xfire doesnt always scale well, so you might get 8 or 12 fps more by dual cards, yet it could be alot pricier.

The next thing you need to think is deual cards really gonna be worth the price? is 50 fps worth the cost for 65 or 70 fps when gaming.

But anyway, you should check reviews orf the cards anbd get the one that excells at the games you play.

I'd be worried about the heat with 580M's in SLI all stuffed into a laptop.

Thanks for the response guys. Now Dual 2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA is out of the picture since its very expensive though it's the best. Dual NVIDIA GTX 460M 1.5GB GDDR5 or Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M CrossfireX. They say that the nvidia 1.5 gb is still faster than 2gb amd is this true?

I can't see a 460m being faster than a 6970m.

Maybe I read wrongly, I researched again and find that Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD Radeon HD 6970M CrossfireX is better than the dual nvdia 1.5. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom