CPU Fan Failure/ CPU Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curbkiddytech

In Runtime
I just got a Cooler Master Haf X full tower case. Took all of my parts from the old case and put them into the Haf X. I turn on the computer when it's finished and after 15 seconds I get the POST beeping "CPU Fan Failure!" message. Looked inside the case and the fan was spinning just fine. I checked the hardware monitor in the BIOS settings and saw that my CPU temp was 85 degrees Celcius. So i shut the computer down, cleaned the CPU fan of dust, applied some thermal paste, made sure the CPU fan was working and all the other fans in the case worked, turned the computer back on and got the same freaking message!

My specs are:

PSU- OCZ Modular 700W
Motherboard- ASUS Rampage Formula III
CPU- Intel Core i7 950 Bloomburg
RAM- G.Skill 4 GB DDR3
4 HDDs- 2 160 GB and 2 500 GB running on RAID 1 for both sets

Anyone have any ideas on what the deal is?

You didn't have any problems prior? Did you plug the CPU fan into the correct header on the board? Usually labeled CPU_FAN.

I suspect you can get into windows. Get HWMonitor and show us a screenshot. Could easily be a bad sensor.

No problems prior to the rebuild, which is why i was suprised my CPU suddenly got hot. It hadn't been running for at least 5 hours. And no i can't get into the OS, the computer automatically shuts down before that. I checked the fan cable and what i found was odd. I had it plugged into the power fan connector at the top right of the board because my old case came with this miniture fan that snapped on to the heat sink of the Northbridge that runs horizontally right above the CPU. I never had any error messages before, and somehow that miniture fan broke so I can't mount it anymore. But now that the CPU fan is plugged into the right connector I shouldn't be getting that error message right? I also don't see how it relates to my CPU overheating since the fan on its heat sink runs just fine.

Did you try resetting your BIOS? If that doesn't work, try reseating your CPU. Might have a misconnection somewhere when you moved it.

Okay I switched BIOS's (my mobo has 2 that you can switch from the board), removed and reinserted my CPU, put the heat sink and fan back on, and STILL my temp is at a sold 85 Celcius. And after 30-45 seconds, it shuts down.

That's okay, I appreciate the feedback! I'll probably do a complete rebuild and hopefully find the problem but if anyone else has any ideas those are appreciated as well!

I see the overheating as 1 or more of 4 possibilities.

1. To much Thermal paste is being used. This is extremely common (ask MoM how many times it took him to get it right) and it can make a huge difference.

2. The heatsink is not securely attached to the mobo.

3. The base of the heatsink is warped.

4. The fan is malfunctioning, just because it spins doesn't mean it's working correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom