How are Asrock boards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can you recommend (usa store) for a Phenom 920 and ddr2? I have a Gigabyte m68m-s2p and I want to upgrade because the fsb is only 1000mhz vs the 2600mhz it runs on AMD boards. I was thinking that upgrading the board in my case might be a bigger improvement than getting 4gb of ram over my 2gb. Can you give me your take on this?

At the same time I get the Ram or the board I am getting a ATI 5670 I am wondering if at 1600x1200 res if the 1gb ddr5 card is worth the extra cost over the 512mb ddr5 card?

i was going to reply.. but i dont want to be a redhead.... not sure what that means... haha

BUT

what i will say is that AsRock have started to get their act together, their motherboards have really raised (their own) bar recentally... alot of their boards are getting really good reviews on Newegg right now...

Anyone have any insight on the fsb difference from board to board? 1000mhz or 2600mhz is there a big performance impact for me being @ 1000mhz here or should I just go for 4gb ram?

I'm going to double post and take the chance of getting yelled at, I don't see any other way I can get attention on my post. This is the second time in a month I came to you guys asking for help and this is the second time my questions have been virtually ignored. Every other person asking for help here gets it, can someone PLEASE give me some insight on this fsb issue!

2 things, First off a reason that nobody's responded to your post is that you posted at midnight. It's a Friday, many of the people on these forums work a pretty standard 9-5 job, and aren't browsing the forums between the hours of 10pm~11pm to 5pm. Secondly, the phenom's were not an overly popular processor on these forums simply because of the c2d's and i5/i7's, and there are only a handful of phenom users that I can recall, so naturally most people aren't able to just whip out an answer for you, and it would require some research. We are a help forum, not an instant answer service.

I'll give you an answer to the best of my ability. The upgrade from 2gb to 4gb of ram will be noticeable, so I would do that. The vram on the GPU won't make a big difference at your resolution, if you were running a 30" I would recommend more vram, but also a faster GPU. The motherboard might give you a performance increase upgrading the FSB speed, but I'm not 100% sure about it. I'm sure a quick google search would give you a rough idea if you'll see any performance increase, but at the same time older ASRock boards aren't known for their quality, so I would steer away from that board in particular.

I understand, but after 71 views no one has any input on my problem? I can not find any real info on this, I have been "googling". I just need to know if my board holding the fsb at 1000mhz is a big deal? They sell a lot of boards with this chip and no one has complained or asked this question. I'm asking you guys because I'm lost on this. I'd be happy for opinions at this point since I have nothing else to go on.

There are a couple things you need to consider,

#1 this is a high end computer building forum, and AsRock is not known for "highend " compnents. I would never EVER consider putting anything but a MSI, Asus or EVGA board in my builds. So a lot of yous don't know anything about lower end hardware.

#2 71 views also includes guests who can't post...

There are 512 guests online right now. Not all 71 people who have looked at this thread are in a place to even attempt to offer advice, maybe they are interested in Asrock boards and want to gather opinions. I understand that it may be frustrating that nobody's given you an answer, but keep in mind that posters are not paid to post, we do it during our free time. and what would make you more frustrated, getting opinions of well 2600mhz is more than 1000mhz so you'll see a performance increase only to find out that it doesn't matter, or not having anyone say anything productive? My guess would be that since the HT runs at 3600mhz on your cpu, and your board has it at 1000mhz that you might see a performance increase, but at the same time I'm not sure if it would be noticeable outside of benchmarks. As I've said there are just too many unknowns for me and I'm sure many others, to give an adequate response.

There are people who know a lot about Phenoms and HT mhz increases on boards, and I'm sure someone will come along and read this and say hey i know the answer to that! and you'll be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom