file synchronization between hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurph

In Runtime
Anyone know good software (preferrably free) to synchronize recently updated files from one hdd to another?
I.e. in the minimum time so no backup/archive, and not re-copying all files.

Just starting to become a techie, so no signature yet!!

Second Copy 2000 (not free)
I use it all the time. it checks for newer files and copies them if needed. It has lots of copy options like simple copy, exact copy, synchonize, move, compress, exact compress and stuff like skip hidden files, verify, temporary file, skip system files, copy/do not copy empty folders..................

you can use two HDD perform a RAID 1 !

It like a Ghost image !

no matter which HDD is bad! the computer can work normally

TheMajor said:
If you have XP Pro you can setup RAID with dynamic drive. I am not sure if it has RAID1 though.

Yes , RAID with dynamic drive ,just like ghost,

you must have two HDDs at least!

I use the sych dir's feature in Total Commander http://www.ghisler.com/advanced.htm#tutorial_synchronize

use the asychronous option and it will compare files from one directory with another directory. it will duplicate what is in the source directory but will only delete, replace or copy files in the target directory which have changed. The program works very fast too.

I use it with a removable HDD rack to make backups. Using RAID poses a small risk. if your computer gets destroyed you lose it all. Putting a removeable hard disk in a cheap fireproof case (like from walmart) makes it much safer.

Oh I see you wanted free. Try enabling the archive bit for all the files you plan to save and using MS Backup with an incremental backup. Use MS Task Scheduler to set this to run weekly or monthly. It will only backup changed files. Almost all version of MS Windows has the MS Backup program under system tools

ekÆsine said:

I use it with a removable HDD rack to make backups. Using RAID poses a small risk. if your computer gets destroyed you lose it all.

Only with RAID0. RAID1 is supposed to be safe if you loose one HD (or partition)

TheMajor I meant if everything was physically destroyed like from your home catching on fire or a large electrical spike. I'm assuming the worse case scenario......if you die while your house is ripped apart from a typhoon at least all your pr0n will be safely tucked away :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom