Running hot under load, even warm at idle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orion321

Solid State Member
Maybe 3-4 months after doing my first comp build, my GPU began running hot, normally idling at around 50C and under load would run at 80-85C. I'm really not comfortable with that temperature.
I've read on the EVGA forums that my GPU (EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card) does run hotter with any newer driver than v195.47 or close to that.
So I went back to that driver update and tried the card out for awhile, still no luck. So I downloaded the EVGA precision tool, and after messing with it for a week or so, no help again.
I'm beginning to think maybe the case just isn't built to keep it cool enough (RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply) mainly because wire management sucks in this case, and the fan's aren't exactly well put together either. I'm new to this and was hoping for some insight on if I'm missing any major factors that could be affecting it.

Fan speed was running around 65% and idling at 54C, cranked the speed up to 90% for a few minutes, and it only dropped 1C to 53. Could hear the fan running so at least I know it's good.

How old is your build? Haved you cleand out the fans and the gpu yet? basically blow out the card?

The case isdnt the greatest looking for cooling, do you have the side fan running?

Welcome to the forum btw

80-85C at load seems fine, if maybe a *tad* high. 50C at idle is hotter than I'd like definitely, as paton said check for dust buildup, clogged fan, etc

It is still summer and it's been hot. How cool is the room? Everything I own has been running hotter than I'd like.

Thanks for the welcome,

Have been cleaning the case and card out regularly, the setup I have now was built in Dec. of 09'

It is still summer and it's been hot. How cool is the room? Everything I own has been running hotter than I'd like.

House stays at around 72 all year round.

Maybe 3-4 months after doing my first comp build, my GPU began running hot, normally idling at around 50C and under load would run at 80-85C. I'm really not comfortable with that temperature.
I've read on the EVGA forums that my GPU (EVGA 512-P3-N871-AR GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card) does run hotter with any newer driver than v195.47 or close to that.
So I went back to that driver update and tried the card out for awhile, still no luck. So I downloaded the EVGA precision tool, and after messing with it for a week or so, no help again.
I'm beginning to think maybe the case just isn't built to keep it cool enough (RAIDMAX SMILODON Extreme Black ATX-612WEBP 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply) mainly because wire management sucks in this case, and the fan's aren't exactly well put together either. I'm new to this and was hoping for some insight on if I'm missing any major factors that could be affecting it.
I had the XFX variant of that card and I can say it ran warm. With fan at 100 all the time the coolest I could idle was 45 and It would load up to 79c in a room that was 65f year round (colder in the winter usually). Blow it out and see if that helps a tad, if not I wouldn't worry unless your temps start going over 95c.

Also
Running hot under load, even warm at idle.
That's what she said.

Well that's good to know, still want to upgrade some of my components soon anyways, at least now I know my isn't about to crap out on me anytime soon... "knock on wood"

Just make sure the HSF is cleaned out of dust and as long as it doesn't go over 95c you will be good. Just an FYI my 465 is idling at 54c with the fan at 40 (overclocked).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom