Hardware power-up issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cummins600

Solid State Member
Here’s the deal – after a strong electrical storm over night (may not be related) my PC was found dead after it was on during the night. I hit the power button to only get no power at all – no fans, nothing.

I tried a new power ATX power supply w/still no power to the system. So, I figure the MB is fried and I buy the same exact MB from ebay and install it only to have the same power issue. Ok, maybe the AMD XP 2800+ is cooked. I buy a new one from ebay and install it only to have no power again. But now the unit will power-up for about two second and then kill itself.

So, I now have two power supplies, two MBÂ’s and three processors that all give about the same resultsÂ…..power-up and then dies. IÂ’ve detached all hardware to the MB trying to isolate the problem part(s). This has been a real ass kicker for me. I really think I have a batch of fired.

IÂ’m stumpedÂ…..a new BM of a different brand is on the way. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

Thanks

After you mount your MB to the case, connect cables and switch the power on, there is an LED that should light up on the MB - does it?

Well it could be that the computer doesnt like the room that its in especially sense it got electricuted in there. Try moving it to another room or plugging it into another wall socket.

I had this happen with an Abit board. Turned out it was the board. One thing to do for sure is to make sure on the back of the powersource you have 115~v selected. Unless of course you live in europe (which i doubt). Some times when you buy a new power source 220 is selected and that could be your problem.

Cummins600 said:
Here’s the deal – after a strong electrical storm over night (may not be related) my PC was found dead after it was on during the night. I hit the power button to only get no power at all – no fans, nothing.

I tried a new power ATX power supply w/still no power to the system. So, I figure the MB is fried and I buy the same exact MB from ebay and install it only to have the same power issue. Ok, maybe the AMD XP 2800+ is cooked. I buy a new one from ebay and install it only to have no power again. But now the unit will power-up for about two second and then kill itself.

So, I now have two power supplies, two MBÂ’s and three processors that all give about the same resultsÂ…..power-up and then dies. IÂ’ve detached all hardware to the MB trying to isolate the problem part(s). This has been a real ass kicker for me. I really think I have a batch of fired.

IÂ’m stumpedÂ…..a new BM of a different brand is on the way. Any ideas or suggestions for me?

Thanks

Why don't you add an APC power backup unit to the list? They are extreamly good at filtering the power for your pc. I have a BR1500 myself. :p

Also, you might want to swap the RAM out if nothing else seems to work.

your ram is fried since it powers up then shuts down. get new ram, also every other add-in compnoent may be fried i.e. vid card, sound card, cd roms, floppy, monitor, modems, etc

if its not the ram, be sure its not grounding out on the case (yeah, I know the other died, but when you installed the new MBD you may of inadvertantly grounded it to the case). Remove it from the case with bare minimum (vid card, HDD, CPU and mem only) and run it that way. Put the MBD and components on a static free surface (ie not the carpet).

fiezk said:
After you mount your MB to the case, connect cables and switch the power on, there is an LED that should light up on the MB - does it?

The green LED does turn on - along with the fans too.

That doesn't really mean anything.. I had a friend who's motherboard would show it's getting power but wouldn't do anything. We RMA'ed it and sure enough the board was bad. If your using a new motherboard, make sure you don't use those insulator's around the motherboard screws.. You need the metal to contact for the ground.

just out of curiosity...you have the power supply specs...right? use a voltmeter and test for line, trickle, and standby voltages...and since you have replaced the motherboard...i'm fairly confident every component has already been reseated...the ram sounds like a real possible...but i would also use a different monitor, mouse, and keyboard...i've seen those cause problems before after a surge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom