No power to a new build

Status
Not open for further replies.

pointless132

Beta member
So im new here but i thought my question would be best answered on this site. So hi to everyone.

Anyway, i just received new parts to build a computer and i had everything assembled. I go to turn on the computer and no power, no noise, no fans, nothing..... I thought maybe i connected the power sw leads incorrectly and tried switching them. Again no power, i tried every combination but the first or second time i reconnected them should have worked since the motherboard specifies where everything should go.
My question is could the motherboard be broken even before i got to try it out or is my case ****in up? I have a hard time believing that my mobo is broken, id like to think the power cables in my case is effed. I could go ahead and just put my mobo in this computer to see if it works but i want to see if there is any shortcuts i can take to test if my mobo is workin.
Thanks all, i can provide additional info if needed

Did you use the stand-offs between the motherboard and the case motherboard tray?

What parts did you buy? Manufacturer and Model # please.

The motherboard should have two connectors plugged into it from the power supply, a 24-pin and a 8-pin.

Go thru this guide and make sure you didn't skip anything.

The animated guide to Building a PC. Learn to build a PC from scratch with PCitYourself!

You can always remove the parts from the case and reassemble them on top of the box, or on a table (someplace non-conductive, DO NOT assemble the components on the carpet).

Maybe the power supply is dead if nothing turns on, so you should test the psu by itself to see if it works.

actually, i forgot about the standoffs. How would this affect my computer from turnin off and on? Would it make some type of current with the case or something and fry it?

I already tested 2 psu's and both work fine. Actually both are new. As for parts:
Mobo: biostar a870
Video card: HIS H467QR1GH Radeon HD 4670
Case: Cooler master centurion 5
That standoffs comment is really botherin me now.

Gonna go try and put them on

Yes, you can create a short on the motherboard if you don't use standoffs. The standoff's are there to raise the motherboard off the motherboard tray/case enough so no contact is made between the two which could result in shorting out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom