Graphic card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

linamus

Beta member
Bought PC with integrated (or is it called onboard?) card. So, after few days, decided to buy myself a real card.

The new card: ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2

The PC:
Intel Core i3 550
Mainboard - Foxconn H55MXV-LE (and the pci x16 slot)
4GB RAM, and integrated card runs on 1gb memory.
500w PSU

First problem as turned out was my new card not getting enough power from the PSU. So recently I went in the servicer and tested out 750w I wanted to buy. Fan and everythign worked, but when windows loaded, well, right after the windows logo loaded, their monitor it was tested on shat down. Then they plugged in one of their cards and it also shat down. With integrated card it works just fine. So, they recommended me to call the-repair-service-where-I-bought-the-PC and report broken PSI slot. However I usually throw away any boxes, and looks like to qualify for free repairs as a customer, I need to have the **** box.

Well then I'm sandwiched between troubles. Anyone got any suggestions on my situation? Maybe it's not PCI slot problem?

Both integrated and onboard mean the same thing.

Sounds more like your board. As 500W should be enough. What was the make of your PSU?

Call up your manufacturer of your suystem/motherboard. Request an RMA.

I would boot your computer up using the onboard. Then put the proper drivers in.

Then boot up again with the ATI card. I'd go into the BIOS and see if you can set the board off.

I don't think the boards bad yet... I think maybe its just not setup right as I wouldn't expect to the card to work on boot. Also being able to get right up till window loads drivers seems suspicous too.

Like paton said, take out the card first, boot into windows, install the drivers first.
Next, reboot, and disable onboard, in the bios, save your settings and reboot again.
Your system will do a start up, and make sure you note that pci-e cards onboard displays before you get into loading up your system hardware and windows.
Finally boot into safemode in windows xp or 7 and check you device manager and make sure your card is active.

If it is, restart and try to go into windows again, if it crashes and does a system repair, check to make sure there are no windows update that might be conflicting with your system.
Checking on it usually helps and windows 7 will note with a error description, what might be bothering your machine.

One friend did tell me to try booting windows with PEG/PCI slot which would effectively disable the onboard card. Also, I cannot install drivers without new card plugged in, as it won't install until there's a recognizeable card. Unless I do it with monitor in onboard.

Also I think service guys tried to launch it in safe mode and it didn't work, but I ain't sure to which card was monitor plugged into. Perhaps new one.

...and make sure you note that pci-e cards onboard displays before you get into loading up your system hardware and windows.
And I don't understand this sentence D:

No, adding a pci-e card doesn't automatically cut out the onboard. Now if you can decypher mikes sentence, you can, in the bios, set the onboard to be displayed first when windows runs.

You need to set the bios to allow both gpus, so you can load the drivers.

Have you tried staying connected to the onboard while the ati is installed?

Well.. The solution was fairly simple: not test the card on services's ****ty kinescopic monitor. I brought it home, plugged in, and everything works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom