eBook reader for uni?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yami

Lady Techie
I was thinking of getting an ebook reader to save on weight in uni. I'll have about £160, though I could easily increase that to say, £250, if it's worth it.

So, is it practical to use an eBook reader for such a purpose, and if so, is it worth it over physical books?

I have plentiful access to ebook-format versions of most of the books I need, plus a lot more (hurrah for a Safaribooks account).

I would just get a Kindle WiFi but apparently it supports only a small range of ebook formats.

NB: I stuck this in laptops/netbooks section since it's about the closest (mobile devices) I could think of :p

IMO, I think a tablet would be more rewarding than just a simple Kindle/Nook. I don't know how expensive the non-branded ones are over there, but you could do a lot more than read certain eBooks.

That's my take.

Losing the advantage of an e-ink display if I go the tablet route. Also, I have little need for a tablet (I'm not denying it makes some stuff like browsing easier, but I just don't really need that right now).

Also, I've tried reading books on an iPad 1 before, rubbish experience.

I am using my Nook Color for one of my eTextbooks and it has worked really well so far (using the kindle app ironically).

As far as reading experience is concerned the upcoming Galaxy Tab 7.7 should be the best non eInk option since it has a high res Super AMOLED Plus display, the kindle app for andorid allows you to view books as white text on a black background which is perfect for that display. Unfortunately it is not out yet and there is no word on pricing.

Reading books on the iPad was a rubbish experience to you? It was one of my best eBook experiences. I used my iPad for college books too, so a color screen was almost a neccesity. I'm another person who recommends you buy a tablet, iPad or otherwise. It supports Kindle, Google Books, iBooks, etc etc.

Also, will the Galaxy Tab 7.7 be available in Europe? I know it isn't available in Germany, but aren't Apple shooting to block it out of Europe entirely?

Apple's injunction has only been upheld in Germany not all of Europe and the EU just yet. So they Galaxy Tab 7.7 should still be available when released unless things change.

As far as the topic goes, You can look at the Kindle or the new Nook Touch. Both have the e-ink display. But the problem comes in with format support. I would find out if there is compatibility greater with either device and go from there. If you have more books compatible with 1 device over the other you can always see about changing the formats of those books not compatible to a compatible format so you can use all your books with the one device.

I like the Kindle. I think most eReaders are basically the same. Get whatever you feel comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom