processes

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
whats the least processes seen on a windows machine?
i have it down to 28 with antivirus, my internet toolbat and my modem software.
my friend got it down to 17 once but that was without antivirus, and was on a freshly installed win xp installation.
Wayne

Depends on your setup, really.

I would suggest figuring out what all your processes are, first. Then you can see what's needed, what's malicious, etc.

Try this site: http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
It has a nice search for tracking down what those processes all are. Don't forget to look in your registry too.

Stating what number of processes you have is irrelevant. The number of processes is strictly related to how you have your individual machine setup.

What printers you are connected to, what software you run, what settings you have, how you have your software (including OS) check for updates, how your graphics card is setup, how your sound card is setup, what version of your OS you have, etc, etc, etc. They ALL produce different processes. I have 31 processes running right now, and I've gone through them all and validated them all. My machine isn't "in trouble," it's just got a lot of stuff going on.

I'm a definite advocate of "Less is more" when it comes to startup items listed in MSCONFIG

Why load 20 things at startup when you are only booting up the computer to play 1 game or type 1 paper? The point is you get into Windows faster so you can decide what to do rather than loading everything 'just in case'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom