Norton Ghost Won't Install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be the Ghost CD you have was locked to a specific BIOS. Many new motherboards are bundled with versions of Symantec products this way. You should use a win98/ winME startup diskette (bootdisk.com) to boot into DOS and run ghost.exe to create and restore your images. Ghost will run in native DOS anyways so installing Ghost on windows isn't neccessary. copy ghost.exe from your CD to a floppy and after booting with the startup disk, swap the ghost disk and type "ghost" at the command prompt to run the program.

a:\ghost

1) you can restore an image to any volume other than the one the image is stored on. The destination volume must be large enough to hold the restored, decompressed image, excluding free space.

2) TF has a tutorial for this:

http://www.techist.com/computer_articles/restore/restore-disk.php

Hi, All.

I have spent hours Googling the InterNet lately and posting letters to various forums for ideas on this subject. Last night I decided to experiment.

Remembering the fact that whenever you create a Ghost Image on a CD it makes the disc bootable, I just inserted the first disc of one of my Ghost backups and it took me straight into Ghost.exe. I can now create an Image, do a Verification check and also Restore the Image. The only downer is that my mouse is not supported, but I can live with that. I haven't tried backing up to a DVD yet, but I'm quietly confident.

Another really good aspect is that I can now quit Ghost.exe and boot into Windows by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del.

Fortunately, I have a DVD reader and a DVD writer, but I assume that Ghost would load the drivers and Ghost.exe to the Virtual Partition so that the CD could be removed and the Image CD inserted.

Hopefully, this post may be of help to some-one else.

Many thanks to every-one for their help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom