6 gig per second drive in removable enclosure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TWSARCH

Solid State Member
Greetings. I just ordered parts to build a new graphic work station and am waiting for the last of the parts to arrive. I ordered two 6 gig per second hard drives, one for the OS and general programs and the other for the program files for the main application we use. The second drive is to be in a removable sleeve to fulfill licensing requirements of the application publisher. I was planning on taking the Rhino Jr from the old computer to do this. It has a standard 3 gig per second sata drive in it now. It just occurred to me the 6 gig per second drive may have a problem with this setup. The motherboard comes with sata cable dedicated for the 6GPS drives leading to this question. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

there isnt a difference between the sata 2 - 3 gig persecond and the sata 3 - 6 gig a second cables other than the sata 3 6gps cables probably has a white ring around it... other than that they are identical.

so just stick your hard drive in the enclosure, and plug it in to a sata 3-6gig a second port on your mother board ;)

Ok, I'll give it a try. I suppose the worst thing that can happen is it doesn't work. It's a new build so there will be no data to lose. Most data is on the server anyway.

The only way to come close to using the capability of the SATA 3 interface is with an SSD, mechanical drives won't do it.

The only way to come close to using the capability of the SATA 3 interface is with an SSD, mechanical drives won't do it.

So I have come to learn. They were almost the same price so I figured what the heck. I think the drives can also be connected to 3 gig per second sata connections too, so what's the difference? A minor tweak so they are compatible when the motherboards have nothing but sata 3 connections? or is it just to sucker me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom