New computer - New to overclocking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blamo

Solid State Member
I have just got my new computer put together last week and have started researching overclocking. I think I have found the most common used software to monitor and stress test, but please let me know if not! I have played around with some settings but for now I am using asus sabertooth P67 auto overclock. I'm curious if these settings are ok and how I can easily push it more. I've heard that the auto overclock can up the voltage to unneeded amounts for the speed it uses sometimes.

Specs:
Motherboard:ASUS Sabertooth P67
Processor: i5 2500k
RAM: GSKILL Sniper DDR3 8GB 1866
Graphics Card: ASUS HD6950 2GB
CPU Cooler: Cooler Masters V6 GT

Software I am using:
CPUZ
CPUID
RealTemp GT
Prime95
Intel Burn Test
3D Mark 11

Here is some screenshots

Prime95 (short test to show values and temps)
autooverclockzoom.png

Memory
AutoOverclockmem.png

and at idle
AutoOverclockIdlezoom.png

Intel Burn Test (Standard)
AutoOverclockBurntestzoom1.png

and on maximum
autooverclockburntestmaxx1.png

First off, I'm not sure why Real Temp GT doesn't show my CPU info (x__, load %, MHZ).

Am I loosing out not having my RAM at 1866 like it was designed for? Are the temps/voltages ok? I would rather be at 4.7ghz and have tried to do some adjusting but after booting and checking the voltages on burntest it made me very nervous as they were hitting 1.4xx, so I shut down and reset to the auto overclock. I am BRAND NEW at this so I'm trying to take everything in at once and don't want to get over my head and damage something, so I'm here :smile:.

Also, I ran 3D Mark 11. I got pretty low scores I thought. I have not touched anything with this graphics card but I would like to OC it a little as well. I just want to get my processor OC figured out solid before I play with that. It says that my 6950 driver was not FM supported, and maybe that is why there was low scores?

3DMark Score
P4970
Graphics Score
Physics Score
Combined Score
GraphicsTest1
19 FPS
GraphicsTest2
23 FPS
GraphicsTest3
28 FPS
GraphicsTest4
14 FPS
PhysicsTest
24 FPS
CombinedTest
23 FPS

Basically, I'm just asking you experts to overview this n00b so I'm safe, and what I can do to help get to 4.7 safely. Then after all this is set and stable, what can/should I do with this graphics card, and how? Thanks guys!

Your images are ever so slightly too small to read without massive difficulty.

Your images are ever so slightly too small to read without massive difficulty.

Sorry about that. Obviously I'm a n00b at resizing photos too, tried to get them zoomed and to work with photobucket, haha.

I'll look this over when I get home from work

Thank you! Can I follow what your stating in Jagged.Edge's thread pretty closely for a 4.7 oc even though this is a i5 2500k instead of a i7 2600k?

Yes, just be sure you uninstall the AI Suite II first and you need to reset all the bios settings to there Default values before you begin. To be honest, while you have DDR3 1866 memory you'll get a better overclock, and better all around performance running your memory at 1600MHz. With the Cooler Master V6, the 2500K (runs cooler with no HT) and your memory at 1600Mhz you should easily reach 4.8-5GHz if your ambient room temperature is kept cool (75F or cooler).

Your running a old version of RealTemp, version 3.60 was released before the Sandy Bridge cpu's started shipping. I'm using the newest beta version, RealTemp 3.69.1 And use the RealTemp.exe not the RealTempGT.exe

Ok, I'll try this tomorrow. I just noticed that in CPUID Monitor that it says CPUTIN is 128 degrees idle? Is this case temp? This can't be right, it must be a error. On 3 different programs it shows my processor temps to be 28-30 idle and the air coming out of the case is cool.

I did a web search and found other users with the P67 Sabertooth reporting the same CPUTIN value of 128C so it sounds like the wrong value is being reported. My P8P67 Deluxe is reporting a CPUTIN value of 60C and I'm pushing it pretty hard :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom