First Overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagged.Edge

Baseband Member
Hiya all, I've used Asus' AI Suite II, and it's Auto-Tuning function.

Using the 'Extreme' button, I managed to overclock my i7 2600K from 3.4 to 5 Ghz with a click of that button.

Now, I have some questions about temperature.

I have the Noctua NH-D14, but you know, I still have some questions.

While playing Crysis 2, full settings, on a 1650x1080 monitor, my temps on my CPU go up to, a max, of the high 60s. Is this okay? Non-gaming, it's around 30-35 degrees.

Oh, and I ran Prime95, and while it's working (atleast I think it's working) temps max around 80 Degrees.

All other specs are in my sig.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them!

P.S, all temps are in Celcius.

Tcase temp (the whole CPU packing) should max at 72.6°C, the cores will be 7-10°C higher.
So at max 80°C you're golden, though I wouldn't leave it up there too long.
Grats on a 5GHz OC!

Tcase temp (the whole CPU packing) should max at 72.6°C, the cores will be 7-10°C higher.
So at max 80°C you're golden, though I wouldn't leave it up there too long.
Grats on a 5GHz OC!
Thanks! TBH, you should thank Asus, I just pressed a button, and waited through a coupla restarts 'till it went up to 5 Ghz xD

I only ran Prime for like 1 minute, because I was kinda scared I was overheating my processor at 80 degrees :p

The only odd thing, I ran 3DMark11, and my scores came out kinda low, and FPS while running the thing was like 15 on some of them, 30 on others. I get 60+ fps on BC2 maxed, haven't checked Crysis yet.

Anyways, I'm not too worried now, thanks. If my games are fine, and BF3'll run fine, that's all I'm asking outta this comp. I was just hope my temps aren't too high xD

3dMark will be low. Its designed to be used gto test crazy machines and hardware in the near future.

puruse through the 3dmark11 thread for a real idea of good/bad.
Yeah, kinda thought so. Hey, as long as my computer runs excellently on the games I play, I don't care.

In fact, the only real lag I've noticed, is while playing SimCity Societies, max settings, and I pan around the landscape, ground level. I guess my processor is struggling to render ALL the trees perfectly xD

If your temps shoot to 80C within a minute or two of Prime95 then your running way to hot. I tried the Asus AI Suite II and I recommend uninstalling it. It probably has all your voltages set way to high.

Here are the bios settings I'm using for 5 GHz.

Ai Overclock: Manual
Turbo Ratio: By Per Core (Cannot adjust in OS)
1-Core Ratio Limit: 50
2-Core Ratio Limit: 50
3-Core Ratio Limit: 50
4-Core Ratio Limit: 50
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled
Memory Frequency: DDR3 1600 (set this to match your memory)
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled
DRAM Timing Control: 8-8-8-24-1T (set this to match your memory)
Load-line Calibration: Ultra High
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Voltage: Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.465v
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Disabled
CPU C1E: Disabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

And you need to post a screenshot of your system like mine below. If you Blue Screen you probably need to increase your CPU Manual Voltage (in .005v increments). If you hit 80C then you need to lower your voltage, or lower your Overclock, or lower your ambient room temperature.

overclock3.jpg

This image is for a overclocking guide I'm working on, ignore all the red markings :D

If your temps shoot to 80C within a minute or two of Prime95 then your running way to hot. I tried the Asus AI Suite II and I recommend uninstalling it. It probably has all your voltages set way to high.

Here are the bios settings I'm using for 5 GHz.

Ai Overclock: Manual
Turbo Ratio: By Per Core (Cannot adjust in OS)
1-Core Ratio Limit: 50
2-Core Ratio Limit: 50
3-Core Ratio Limit: 50
4-Core Ratio Limit: 50
Internal PLL Overvoltage: Enabled
Memory Frequency: DDR3 1600 (set this to match your memory)
EPU Power Saving Mode: Disabled
DRAM Timing Control: 8-8-8-24-1T (set this to match your memory)
Load-line Calibration: Ultra High
VRM Frequency: Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode: 350
Phase Control: Extreme
Duty Control: Extreme
CPU Voltage: Manual Mode
CPU Manual Voltage: 1.465v
Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor: Disabled
Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology: Disabled
CPU C1E: Disabled
CPU C3 Report: Disabled
CPU C6 Report: Disabled

And you need to post a screenshot of your system like mine below. If you Blue Screen you probably need to increase your CPU Manual Voltage (in .005v increments). If you hit 80C then you need to lower your voltage, or lower your Overclock, or lower your ambient room temperature.

overclock3.jpg

This image is for a overclocking guide I'm working on, ignore all the red markings :D

Oh, I'll give it a go. Thanks! I'll post screenshots after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom