Western Digital confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roark

Lord of Bacon
So I've been looking around at <1TB hard drives and I think I finally figured out WD's lettering scheme, but still a little confused on the numbers.
I'm assuming that the # after the GB (ie: WD5001/WD5002) are the number of platters. Can anyone confirm or refute this? trying to find details on WD's identification scheme is like pulling teeth.

Also, does it even matter? I've read a single high density platter provides better performance than a dual platter drive, confirm/refute.

Been trying to decipher it from this spec chart:
http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-701276.pdf
Just wish it listed # of platters as well so I could deduce what part of the model # it is.

From what I can tell.
AA = <1TB
FA = >1TB
E = 64MB Cache
L = 32MB Cache
X = 6GB/s
S = 3GB/s
SS = 3GB/s + 64MB Cache (1.5-2TB only)

*Edit - Do they even make 1.5-2TB platters?
If not my assumption about the # after the GB (ie: WD5001/WD5002) is totally off.
They could just be another indication of SATA speed, but then the X and S is just redundant...

Anxious about an interview I have later today, I find research helps me relax even if it serves no other real purpose.
Guess its probably not helpful to be clogging the forum with this, just needed an outlet to organize it, and other bored/interested people to bounce ideas off of.

I've read a single high density platter provides better performance than a dual platter drive, confirm/refute.
As a general rule of thumb, a drive with less platters is better because it usually means higher density. Higher density means smaller distances for the head to travel.

E-Mailed Western Digital asking for an updated spec sheet with the number of platters in each drive, or to identify the character in the model number that would indicate the number of platters. Bet that isn't a request they get very often, curious what their response will be.

*Edit - Got a response back, pretty weak if you ask me:
I apologize but we do not specify the number of platters within a drive based on the model number. The reason why is that we will change the number of platters in a drive over its life cycle. The average drive has 30 revisions before we retire it.
They seem to have completely ignored my inquiry about an updated/thorough spec sheet with platter #s.
Oh well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom