Building a new gaming rig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, looks fine. If you're really worried, look up some professional reviews of it.

So my specs are as follow:

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Chaser MK-I (VN300M1W2N) Black SECC ATX Full Tower Computer Case
Newegg.com - ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ980FBGMBOX
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER V6 GT RR-V6GT-22PK-R1 120mm DynaLoop CPU Cooler w/ Universal bracket & Dual Fan
Newegg.com - OCZ Solid 3 SLD3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
XFX Radeon HD 5770 later to upgrade to this: Newegg.com - XFX HD-695X-CNFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
Newegg.com - Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model AD-7261S-0B LightScribe Support - CD / DVD Burners
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

After I can afford it I'll be adding in a 1TB HDD, probably this one: Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

So that'll give me a total amount of 1.5TB of storage space as the entirety of the 60GB SSD will be used for O/S, updates, antivirus, etc.

I'm going to upgrade from my old 22" DELL and leave it to my secondary PC, which will be revived using the 5770 when I get the 6950. Should I invest in a 23" or should I go for a 25"?

As for peripherals I'll be using my Logitech X-530s for my speakers, I'll replace both the Logitech G15 and Razer Lachesis with the G510 and RAT 7 respectively. My old Sennheiser gaming headset, which has started to show its age over the past few years, will be replaced by a wirelss Logitech G930 headset, I've read lots of good reviews about and I'd prefer my headset be wireless so it suits me. I'll also be pairing the mouse with a Razer Golliathus Control Edition mouse pad.

After much consideration and research I have decided to use ESET's Nod32 Antivirus Program as I've seen it's one of the best AV Programs that won't slow down your gaming sessions.

So what does everyone think of my rig? I for one am stoked, really can't wait to play BF3 on this beast.

Looks really nice man. Only thing I would suggest is dropping the CPU down a bit.
If you're getting an aftermarket CPU cooler I have to assume you're going to be overclocking, and the only difference between the 9xx BE CPUs is the factory overclock. So you're essentially paying AMD a premium for something you're going to be doing yourself anyway. The 965 BE is $40 cheaper, and only 0.3GHz slower on the clock, seems like a waste to me since it shouldn't be too hard to get to 4.0GHz on the 965 anyway.
If you save $40 on the CPU, and can find $20 either in the build or your couch, you can get the 120GB OCZ Solid 3.

*Edit - Or just find $10 and grab that combo Slaymate posted, the i5 2500k blows the Phenom II x4 out of the water.

I missed something somewhere. Why are you paying all that cash for a AMD system? For $10 more you could have a i5 2500K, AMD's are great for a budget to mid range PC but your just spending more money for less performance.

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!

I was just thinking the exact same thing, took a quick look at the older post as to why you went with AMD. If your spending this much on a AMD system, might as well go with Intel.

I may just drop the CPU down, I was planning to place a Bulldozer in it anyways. Just need something to hold it's place until it comes out.

All this Intel stuff won't really be noticeable in game now will it? Only thing that will really show a difference would be bench marks. I might bump myself UP to a Phenom II X6 1100T and OC it.

Edit: I've read reviews saying the 1100T is easily OCed to 4ghz on air using the cooler I picked out, the Cooler Master V6GT, while staying stable. So I think I'm gonna go for that, sounds too good not to. Plus I get a free copy of the new Deus Ex game. Awesome.

Edit 2: I'm gonna lower and grab the 1090T six core, as it's $20 cheaper and can match, if not exceed, the quad core and 1100T. Besides for $20 less it get .1 less ghz and still get the new dues ex game? Sounds like a deal to me.

[1090T six core] can match, if not exceed, the quad core and 1100T
Its $40 more than the X4 965 BE, and yet loses to it or beats it by <1fps in gaming benches
AnandTech 1090T versus 965 BE.

All this Intel stuff won't really be noticeable in game now will it?
From what I've seen the i5 2500k beats every top AMD processor by around 10fps in games, and can go to 3.7-4.0GHz on stock cooling.

But you seem oddly opposed to going Intel even though its only $10 more.
And you can wait to upgrade to Ivy Bridge just as easily as you can wait to upgrade to Bulldozer.

Its $40 more than the X4 965 BE, and yet loses to it or beats it by <1fps in gaming benches
AnandTech 1090T versus 965 BE.

From what I've seen the i5 2500k beats every top AMD processor by around 10fps in games, and can go to 3.7-4.0GHz on stock cooling.

But you seem oddly opposed to going Intel even though its only $10 more.
And you can wait to upgrade to Ivy Bridge just as easily as you can wait to upgrade to Bulldozer.

I was just looking at the 965, was thinking it's $40 cheaper and reviews say it OCs pretty high on stock cooling, aftermarket is even greater for OCing. I'm going to grab the 965 and OC it and save myself $40. Was also looking at gameplay for Deus Ex Human Revolution and.....it won't be too long before it's $20 in stores, game doesn't look fun at all.

3.4 to 4.0 with my V6-GT, 8GB DDR3, 5770 (upgrading to 6950 in less than a month) 60GB SSD and windows 7 64.

Edit: Glad I went for the 965 to save $40, shipping was $37 - sheesh.

I think I'm going to order the case from Amazon, same price but free shipping, will save me $24.

i bet you wont be able to get your 965 over 3.8ghz.. they simply DO NOT like overclocking, mine was water cooled, idle temp of about 23C and load was like 36C, and i couldnt for the life of me get mine of 3.8ghz.... the intel i5 2500k processor at stock specs beats even the most overclocked 6 core AMD processor... in my honest opinion, going with anything but intel, is foolish, ESPECIALLY for how much these new core " i " series processors love to be over clocked....

EDIT:

Also, the corsair A70 is a much better CPU cooler for the same money... but you got the Phenom 965 so it doesnt matter what cooler you get, you wont be able to overclock it very well...

Who wants it at 3.8? If I OC it I will put it at 3.7 to match the one that was $40 more. Besides this CPU is just a placeholder, I'm really just waiting for the 8 Core Bulldozers to come out, then I'll upgrade this PC with one of those and place this CPU into my PC and replace it's old Phenom 9600BE, slap the 5770 into it along with 6GB of RAM and have a mid range gaming rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom