unable to install SP2 on WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

wood1e

Solid State Member
Hi,

I have just tried to install, SP2 on WinXP Pro, and when it had finsihed an error came up saying unabel to install...

Can anyone help?

wood1e

woodle,
Prior to install , exit all running programs [Norton stuff, Av's , Anti-spyware's ..etc..etc].

Did you download sp2 from the microsoft website?. Nobody recommends stuff downloaded from anyother site other than the source site.

After checking this link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx ,try reinstalling sp2 again ..

But first remove the sp2 that you installed previoulsy by doing the following,

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
2. At the command prompt, type the following lines. Press ENTER after each line.
cd %Windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst
spuninst.exe

Sign
Codes

I got a disc from Microsoft...once it had said unable to install, it went in to uninstall mode....

Although I did copy and paste your line cd %Windr......and I got the response, "the system cannot find path specified"

So do I need to type your line? As the install went into uninstall made start after trying to install...

Wood1e

No, that's ok. The code he gave was to uninstall SP2.

Does it give any error message when the installer tells you that SP2 cannot be installed on this machine?

Make sure when you try and install SP2 that you end every non-essential program. (ie. winword.exe, NAVAW32.exe, iexplore.exe etc...)

Then try installing it.

OK, running an anti adware package, and then will shut everything down, and start again...many thanks

wood1e

wood1e,

Yup,It seems that your sp2 has rolled back your install.So no need to type those codes in command prompt.
check the error message as 'bla!!' said and post back your comments

Sign
Codes
:)

If nothing else works, try to format, that is if it is absolutely necessary that you install SP2.

-Dan The Man

I've actually went back to the Windows Update site to restart the download and it knew that the files were there and where to continue the install. It picked up where it left off without a problem and it installed fine.

Hi, I have tried again to install SP2 and yet again it failed, the error that appeared was 'access denied, unable to install'...

I had shut everything down that I could, and I ran the code

cd %Windir%\$NtServicePackUninstall$\Spuninst
spuninst.exe

All I got was that the sytem could not find the patch, and after pressing enter, an error appeared saying spuninst.exe is not recognised as an internal or external command....

Anyone got any other suggestions?

Many thanks
Wood1e

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom